Status
Not open for further replies.

ag100

Baseband Member
Turned on my wife's computer- this morning

Packard Bell IConnect 866
model- MON-GL1
Win XP Pro

A screen came up 'Enter PW to log on as admin or log on as guest.' never seen that before!
The guy at the shop said to try clearing the CMOS by taking the battery out- did that for half an hour- still the same!
(I first turned it off at the power point & unplugged it)
How can I clear the CMOS? I found the jumper, not sure whether to change it to clear & turn comp on, or what?
I can't even get into setup, without a PW.
The guy at the shop denies all knowledge of any PW??
I'm lost!

ag100

First make sure the computer is off. Then take out the battery. Next, move the jumper and wait at least 30s. Move jumper back, put battery back in and then power up.

what manufacturer is the bios? eg. Phoenix, Award???

BIOS manufacturers put several "default" passwords on BIOS's so people can get in them when they foget the passwords and cant clear the CMOS (eg. on a laptop or a locked server) but this will work in your case.

Here is a whole bunch of default passwords:

http://www.phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html

Thanks Wayne- fellow Aussie- It's an American Megatrends, I believe. Couldn't find it on that page dammit. I'll try searching the net for something.

ag100

that page has got me out of numerous sticky situations, including one with a old p1 mobo that had no visible battery

At boot-up note the BIOS provider (Award, AMI, Phoenix, IBM, etc.)

For Award BIOSÂ’ try these backdoor passwords:

AWARD_SW
j262
HLT
SER
SKY_FOX
BIOSTAR
ALFAROME
Lkwpeter
j256
AWARD?SW
LKWPETER
syxz
ALLy
awkward
CONCAT
d8on
CONDO
j64
szyx

For AMI BIOSÂ’ try these backdoor passwords:

AMI
BIOS
PASSWORD
HEWITT RAND
AMI?SW
AMI_SW
LKWPETER
A.M.I.
CONDO

Jeez- what a mine of info you guys are! I'll have to leave all that til tomorrow now- my wife's gone to bed & will crack me over the head with it if it beeps one more time!
Thanks.

ag100

Well, I hate to disappoint you guys- tried everything suggested to no avail. The F secure page didn't even work!

-'An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #101.84c1093d.1129938642.217f68'

Went to their home page & couldn't find anything useful.
Tried hitting cancel, esc, CAD & anything I could think of when the BIOS prompt came up- nothing.
Very peculiar indeed.....My wife is NOT impressed! Can't even install Office on her own comp.

ag100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom