it won't boot up :(( help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpak

Solid State Member
I have an old AMD K-6 500Mhz processor PC with ALI chipset and AWARD Bios. When I turn on the pc it will check the ram and then it will recognize the CD drive and hard disk but then it says CMOS Check Sum Error :((

What do I do?

yes, I had a 200gb maxtor hd that had an ATA card with it. then I took that out and put it on this computer. then it got messed up. i tried booting with linux CDs but nothing! it already has a 4gb hd. then I took out the battery from the mobo. now this.....

You took out your battery to your motherboard.The one that saves all your bios on it.Dont think you can relaod a bios.

dude! the bios only restarts with the battery removed. it is permanently on a chip! that's not the problem!

any other ideas?

I had this same problem once on an older computer, and if I remember right, I fixed it by changing the battery. Have you tried that? Seemed like because the battery was dying, there was something that wasn't getting stored right when the computer was shut down, and by replacing the battery, that fixed it.

On my board you reset a pin to 2 and 3 and it reset's.On 1 and 2 is default.I dont know of any chip that stores things without electricity.Hard drives write to plater's.Thus pull out a hard drive and the info is still there.A chip dosent write anything to a plater.It stores thing with electric.Take away the electricity.Nothing is stored there.I guess i could be wrong.They must get the bios in the chip some how.

You took out a hard drive and put it on this computer. Did you reload the OS.Are the 2 computers that much similar.

well I will change the battery see what happens but I doubt that this is the problem. I might also need to upgrade the bios.

Bios is an EEPROM with some RAM which stores your config, you can write on it with software and when you take the battery out it will reset. If it was static you couldn't do anything! muchless update the bios.

does anyone know what this CRC Check Sum Error is?
I know what it means in theory which is that some bits have been corrupted somehow and the check sum is not the same but how can I get rid of it? any ideas of how it happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom