Service Pack Updates not offered (XP Pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolyn

Solid State Member
XP Pro is a new OS for me. I've recently upgraded from Win 2000 Pro, with XP being the only OS installed on my PC at present. I visited the MS Updates and selected to install ALL updates offered. Many did install, and on viewing the list in "ADD/REMOVE Programs" I do not see MS XP SP1, nor SP2 as having been installed. I did revisit the MS Updates page, and still, neither SP1 nor SP2 are offered. I had such a huge list of updates to install, and do not recall that either SP1 or SP2 were even offered to me.

I searched google, found this forum and decided to post a request for help. As I typed out my post, suddenly my Internet Explorer Window closed. I opened Internet Explorer again, started to type and the same thing occured again (IE window closed with no help from me). I'm hoping this was a direct result of the Service Packs not being installed (and not an indication of an additional serious issue with my PC) :umm: . I am using another computer to post this here now.

Can anyone please offer an explaination as to WHY I am not offered the SP1 & SP2 updates?
Does anyone know of a 'comparison list' of required updates for XP (If I don't find one, I don't know how I'll be certain that ALL updates needed, have been offered and installed)?
Any explainations, please ? ... suggestions? ... solutions?

Thanks in Advance,

carolyn

"Whip me!
Spank me!
... MAKE me use Windows. :wooha:".

Juice Daddy said:
to solve the internet problem, stop useing IE, I recomend firefox
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

and as for the updates, I think all those updates are considered sp1/2
I'm fully aware of the exploits which are associated with using Internet Explorer. That awareness is what fuels my concern in wishing to confirm that I have installed all of the updates needed. Avoiding the use of IE may be a solution for some, and it is not a solution which suits my needs (I write HTML & create Computer Graphics. It is important for me to view the HTML and graphic files just as those visiting the will see them, whether they may be using IE, FireFox, Opera, or NetScape etc ect ect.) Thanks, as the attempt at an offer of help is appreciated, just the same, Juice Daddy. If you do have a solution to offer regarding the issue which I am attempting to remedy, it would be appreciated, even more so.

I'm AM interested in solutions which will allow me to download and install updates. I'm NOT interested in entering a debate regarding the pros and cons & risks associated with various browsers.

I know that the updates are commonly referred to as SP1 & SP2.

Another question which I will include now, as it has only just occured to me: Does SP2 overwrite SP1, and then take on the name of "Windows XP SERVICE PACK 2" ?:)

Edited to add: I am running IE Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 . Some of the reading I've done today now brings up the question as to whether this version of IE actually requires a need for downloading and installing SP2. I'm wondering whether this IE version may have fixed the issues which require SP2, especially since the phrase 'sp2' is included in theversion name. Hmm ... anyone???

Problem Solved.
In my haste to get all of my updates downloaded and installed and all default configurations reset to my own preferences, i neglected to double check which version of XP OS i had installed ... oops.

So, the answer IS:

"Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2). So, SP2 is ALREADY included.".

... & i 'guess' that is why it is not listed in ADD/REMOVE Programs.

It wouldn't be there anyway. Sp2 is a integrated program update not a separate program. Go to Run>and type msconfig and look under system information. It will list your windows version and which service pack is installed. You were looking in the wrong place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom