What is a worth while GPU upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
As some of might now, I am currently have AMD ATHLON XP 2600, 1Gb Ram and an GF-FX5700 265Mb Video Card.

I have plans on upgrading my rig to AMD M2 CPU Christmas 2006 / Chinese New Year 2007.

I am just wondering if it will be worth my while to GeForce 6600GT, 128MB DDR3 some time in the next 6 months. Or should I wait and upgrade the video card with the when i do the rest of my main gaming rig?

I'd wait. Your rig is definatly not outdated, and still has decent specs. Getting a 6600GT you would notice an improvement in performance, but not for what its worth with your current setup. I'd wait it out.

wait, but if you have the cash and really hate the quality your playing at, you might as well spring for a 6600GT

septoid2 said:
I'd wait. Your rig is definatly not outdated, and still has decent specs. Getting a 6600GT you would notice an improvement in performance, but not for what its worth with your current setup. I'd wait it out.
I am really thinking about getting a new video cards into the new year. I can JUST play F.E.A.R.

I'd stick it out Harper. 2006 will be here before you know it, and FEAR might be in the back of your mind by then. If not, then boom, your patience will have paid off, and 6800's will be affordable!

Ryan

I will see what FEAR does tonight after reading other people coments about Direct X 9c (August Edition).

I might also see what sort of over clocking I can do on the GPU. After all, I got a Thermaltake Giant III CPU Cooler, and I don't think the current 30*c is hot enough for my video card. :p

Over all, I rather stick out another to Christmas 2006 / Chinese New Year 2007. Because the AU$300 I spend now is another AU$300 I need to save up again later.

I am still going to look at boosting my Ram up to 2Gb as soon as 1Gb sticks of DDR400 comes down to AU$100.
Ram is so easy to sell off to freinds and that.

Harper said:

I am still going to look at boosting my Ram up to 2Gb as soon as 1Gb sticks of DDR400 comes down to AU$100.
Ram is so easy to sell off to freinds and that.

No no no, more RAM = s l o w e r. You won't notice any improvement in game play. However, if you are big on video editing then go for the 2 Gb. I thought bigger was better too until I took every magazine's advice and got 1Gb of faster RAM and it is ten times better. Stay with 1Gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom