computer wont turn on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Can_Opener

Solid State Member
So here is the problem. Whenever my computer is completely disconnected from a source of electricity (ie. Power goes out or I unplug it) it will not turn back on. After it looses electricity and turns off, it doesn't come back on automaticly like other computers have done for me in the past. And, when I push the I/O button nothing happens. What I have to do is turn the power supply switch off then back on, then I push the I/O button again. Most of the time when I do this, again nothing happens. Somtimes when I do this the lights and fans will turn on for a split second then turn back off. Last night, the power went off and I layed on the floor next to my computer for 30 minutes pushing the I/O button, flicking the power supply switch off and on between each attempt. Finnaly, it just turned on, like nothing was wrong.

The computer will now run fine for as long as it is connected to a power source. I can turn it off, restart, all of that. But I can't unplug it.

Just this led me to believe that my power supply was bad, but there is one other problem. Once the computer finaly does turn back on, the keyboard doesn't work. I must restart the computer several times and in some cases replug it back in to get it to register.

This led me to believe that it could possibly somthing wrong with my motherboard. But i'm not sure and i don't want to waste mone on somthing that is not the problem.

If this has happend to anyone else or if anyone knows what the problem is, please respond. I don't think you need to know my system specs for this, but if you do just let me know and i'll post.

Thanks for reading.

I have :

No-name power supply and case
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum Mobo w/ nforce3 chipset
AMD 64 3200+ Winchester Core
PowerColor Radeon 9600 xt Ultra 128mb
1g RAM - one stick no-name, one stick Kingston
Western Digital 160gb 7200 HD

think that should be enough.

Do you recomend a certain brand of UPS or what should i look for in one?
how do i know if its good?

Thank You

I would look into getting a new PSU, most PSUs will come back on like you said after geting the power cut off to them, you don't have to go too exencive I have a raidmax 420 I bought it for around 12 bucks. You may have just gotten the bad end of someones deal...

as for the keyboard problem it could be the motherboard also, if you have spares try swaping them. Your motherboard will be a bit expence with 64 bit technology, but then again on that same note you should have a warranty, and it's less likely to be that.

neo214 said:
I would look into getting a new PSU, most PSUs will come back on like you said after geting the power cut off to them, you don't have to go too exencive I have a raidmax 420 I bought it for around 12 bucks. You may have just gotten the bad end of someones deal...
Never, never get cheapo brands like raidmax, powmax, etc.. Get a decent power supply from thermaltake, antec, silverstone, pcp&c, and other reliable brands. the last thing you want is to get a pos $12 psu and have it fry your computer and everything connected to it. it might also be that no name ram of yours. mixing and matching ram is a bad idea to begin with, and using no name brands is even worse. I'm willing to bet that the sticks of ram run at different speeds too, ex: pc2100 and pc:3200.

wait for the power to come back on and/or plug it back in. Yes, I'm kidding just thought it was funny how ya worded it. I'd agree with the cheapo PSU, course could be a grounding issue.

003 said:
it might also be that no name ram of yours. mixing and matching ram is a bad idea to begin with, and using no name brands is even worse. I'm willing to bet that the sticks of ram run at different speeds too, ex: pc2100 and pc:3200.

Unless i got ripped off and it was false advertising on the cheapo ram, both sticks are pc:3200

dosnt matter. it's still a bad idea to mix and match ram, and its even worse with no name ram. they probably run at different timings.

mix matched ram wont cause the problem he is having. Unless I read this wrong, he said it works fine once he gets it up and running and as long as he keeps it running, no problems. Clarify that for us, The_Can_Opener.... if you get Ram the runs at two different speed it will default itself to the lowest speed for both memory modules. If you want dual channel make sure they are EXACTLY the same in all aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom