Shaky internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
Ok, first off I want to say that I re-formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP SP2 about 6 weeks ago, so I don't see why there could really be a problem0, but there is, and here it is:

When I return to my computer after a long-ish period of time, say anywhere from 2-5 hours, my internet will not work. It is not set to hibernate or go into standby. I have a cable modem and it is connected to my computer with an ethernet cable. Windows will think that everything is fine and there aren't any errors telling me that the internet is acting strangely, but I cannot get anything to work that requires a connection. AIM will not log on, programs like Adaware cannot check for updates, Firefox can't load anything, etc.

It started doing this around 2 weeks ago, but before that when I would come back to my computer after several hours the internet would work just fine like it should. I have also not changed any settings that I can think of that might make this happen......

A simple reboot will make it work fine, but can be quite a hassle doing a few times a day.
Any suggestions???

I had this same problem way back, like 3 years ago, I don't remmeber How I fixed it, but its same description as yours, basically if windows is idle for to long it dissconnects.

Sorry I can't help me I really don't remmeber what I did to fix this however, I don't think you have to reboot.

you can try, Start>Run (Type) cmd
on command line.
(Type)
ipconfig/renew

I do
ipconfig/release
(then)
ipconfig/renew

go to your network card properties in device manager and uncheck this

NICPower.jpg

I unchecked that box and will post again when I see if I still have the problem. Thanks.

I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but you can go to Device Manager, right click the NIC card and click uninstall. Then you can right click the computer name and click scan for hardware changes which will then reinstall the card. I've tried this, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Great! By not allowing my computer to turn off the network card to save power my internet still works after I return. Thanks a lot!

fifreak3 said:
Great! By not allowing my computer to turn off the network card to save power my internet still works after I return. Thanks a lot!

no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom