memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the forums, and reviews ive read, this is the only site that doesn't regaurd TT as bad. Also On my other forum, everyone hates TT products and we frequently get people posting about problems that are related back to PSU and its almost always a TT.

Ste said:
Of all the forums, and reviews ive read, this is the only site that doesn't regaurd TT as bad. Also On my other forum, everyone hates TT products and we frequently get people posting about problems that are related back to PSU and its almost always a TT.

Well then go back to your other forums and stay there cuz you've been royally screwing people over on this forum.

And just being able to recommend $150 PSUs doesn't make you a PSU god. Not to mention that you know shi+ about other PC parts.

Thermaltake is an excellent PSU maker.

OK, Siegler, for one thing, I seriously recommend against the Abit AN8 motherboard. I have a Abit AV8 and I've had nothing but problems with it, and I can't imagine that the AN8 is much better. The DFI Lanparty that you say you're considering is the best Socket 939 motherboard out there, if you're overclocking; get it.

Back to RAM; Forget about Corsair. The Corsair XMS series is USELESS for overclocking, and its not even worth it for Value RAM because Corsair has a ValueSelect series thats MUCH cheaper and made to not overclock.

Now for the real problem; Its next to impossible to find 2 x 1GB sticks of good-overclocking RAM. Hell, its hard to even find single 1GB sticks.

You have two choices;

1.) Either go with 4 x 512MB sticks of excellent overclocking RAM, or;

2.) Buy 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM rated to run at DDR500 (250MHz) by default.

I don't see why you don't want to go with 4x 512MB sticks. If you do, you'll probably be able to go to more than 250FSB. I would recommend 4 x 512MB, but #2 would also work if you want to stick with 2 x 1GB.

thanks for your input flanker...i was looking at getting ddr500 anyways...its just i heard from one souce that 4 512mb are awful...i dont know remember why he said it, didnt really make sense to me...ill take your advice into consideration, but i may take choice #2 if i want to upgrade to more in the nearby future

as for companies, what do you suggest and why?

for the motherboard, do you think that the av8 is a different from the an8? the only thing that holds me back from the DFI, from what i have heard and seen, is its a bit picky with memory, and a bit less user friendly, being that this is my computer im building

other then that, thanks for your input

The only thing bad about 4 x 512MB is that its going to take more voltage than 2 x 1GB sticks (since there are twice the sticks) and that on older CPUs the memory would be underclocked to 166MHz, but thats not a problem for new processors.

I could suggest some very good 4 x 512MB overclocking RAM if you want.

As far as DDR500 RAM goes, any regular reliable brand is good, because they're guaranteed to run at 250MHz.

Flanker said:
Well then go back to your other forums and stay there cuz you've been royally screwing people over on this forum.

And just being able to recommend $150 PSUs doesn't make you a PSU god. Not to mention that you know shi+ about other PC parts.

Thermaltake is an excellent PSU maker.

OK, Siegler, for one thing, I seriously recommend against the Abit AN8 motherboard. I have a Abit AV8 and I've had nothing but problems with it, and I can't imagine that the AN8 is much better. The DFI Lanparty that you say you're considering is the best Socket 939 motherboard out there, if you're overclocking; get it.

Back to RAM; Forget about Corsair. The Corsair XMS series is USELESS for overclocking, and its not even worth it for Value RAM because Corsair has a ValueSelect series thats MUCH cheaper and made to not overclock.

Now for the real problem; Its next to impossible to find 2 x 1GB sticks of good-overclocking RAM. Hell, its hard to even find single 1GB sticks.

You have two choices;

1.) Either go with 4 x 512MB sticks of excellent overclocking RAM, or;

2.) Buy 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM rated to run at DDR500 (250MHz) by default.

I don't see why you don't want to go with 4x 512MB sticks. If you do, you'll probably be able to go to more than 250FSB. I would recommend 4 x 512MB, but #2 would also work if you want to stick with 2 x 1GB.

If you have a problem with me, report me to an admin. I can do what I want. I am not breaking any rules however you are. Enjoy.

The last couple of PSU's Im reced have not broke the 140 barrier.
So your wrong again.

Oh and TT is Horrible.
pwned
Nough Said.

That is a bit of an exaggeration. If you find the right XMS RAM, it has TCCD's AND Brainpower PCB and OC's very well. You can find it at XS getting close to, or hitting DDR600.

I am not going to say it is the best OC'ing RAM out there, because it isn't, but to say it is 'useless' is not true either.

Yea, IF you get the one with the TCCDs and Brainpower PCBs...why would you risk it?

Thats like the guy that got his ValueSelect to 260MHz.

Flanker said:
I broke a rule?

*Gasp* You haven't broken $140? Too bad I could recommend a just as good PSU for less than $100...probably less.

TT is fine, those other people on your other forums (where you belong) are probably noob builders that don't even know how to install a PSU.

I'm not gonna argue with you here (plus, these posts will probably be deleted).

To be honest thats harsh.

First of all, thats where he belongs?..

''Noob builders'' - believe it or not, you were a ''noob builder'' at 1 point.

''Noob'' - .... Joke word for the UBER L33T.

And i havnt read the other posts carefully enough to criticise them, but this post was.. simply..... heart breaking.

On topic please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom