what happens during win2k startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stunraider5000

Solid State Member
I posted a topic a couple of days ago asking about a startup lag in win2k. I didnt really find any answers that fixed the problem but thats ok. I wanted to know what happens exactly with win2k as soon as you turn your computer on or restart. I get through the first black screen ok but when the win2k splash screen pops up with the bar indicator at the bottom it lags at around 50 percent for about 1 minute. what is happening during that screen. Is the computer searching for installed components and is having to search longer for a certain driver, is it checking the disk. I have no idea and maybe finding out whats going on behind the scenes would better help me to solve the problem. All my hardware seems to be functioning ok and I have no problems in device manager. I've had this problem ever since I went in and done a clean install, so i know its not a problem with recently installed programs. I've even done a repair on windows with the installation cd and that didn't seem to help. I tried going into safe mode but found no problems there. My hd is old but ran fine the last clean install i did. I've used chkdsk also and found no errors on the disk. Please help.

after it loads the operating system, it loads 'prefetch' aswell, when you install some programs, Windows puts some of them in prefetch and is already loaded to save time when opening them, but slows down Windows loading.
IMO prefetch makes the computer slower;
go to (drive letter):\(Windows install dir)\prefetch and delete the files inside, it is quite safe to do so. this should save boot time.

Does 2k use prefetching? I thought it was native to xp ..I checked my winnt dir for such a folder, and there wasn't one .. hidden or otherwise. Upon a file search, the only prefetch mentioned in my system were the plugins through xteq ..

try this buddy....
boot up in the safe mode and go to the msconfig there - on the startup tab - uncheck all the items and on the services tab first check the box hide all microsoft services and then uncheck all the services there.... Now restart the computer

If that does not help then again boot up in the safe mode and go to the msconfig and this time on the general tab check the selective startup - and then uncheck all the boxes below it and this help you to clean boot the system - hopefully this should boot the system up - once it boots up you need to start checking these boxes one by one so that you would know where the problem lies... Hope this helps you fix the problem!!

go to your registry, hkey local machine\software\micrososft\windows\currentversion\run and runservices.
In there you can remove all startup programs and services until you find what ails you.
If you live in mortal fear with editing your registry, then by all means back it up first ...

Yea, there were no version conflicts with msconfig and Win2k. Microsoft made a decision not to include it. You can copy the XP "version" to a 2000 box and it will work just the same.
Also, in addition to looking in the registry, you can install this program from the link below and it will perform a check upon boot. The registry or msconfig will only show you what applications/services are starting after the initial GUI loads. BootVis will check from power up to power down.

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/2/12-2-1.shtml

(It says that it is only compatable for XP but I have it on a 2000 Pro client and it works fine. There is another version that you may have to have. I think this is it but if this doesn't work, let me know and I'll post another link. Pretty sure that this is it though.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom