Acer Aspire 1692 Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JwKuo87

Beta member
Yup, here's the deal: my laptop (bought recently - about a month) freezes from time to time.

Specs:
1,73 Ghz Centrino, 1024 MB, 100 GB, 128 MB ATI Radeon

When I just started using my laptop, first thing I did was install Mozilla Firefox. As I was downloading something from Ahead, my laptop freezes all of a sudden; mouse wouldn't move, ctrl+alt+del didn't respond.. only thing that worked for about 10 seconds was turning on/off my screen with the FN-button and afterwards, even that didn't respond anymore.

This started to occur more and more often, most of the time when transferring things, so I reinstalled everything, though i didn't use the original Acer cd's. Got Windows XP Pro installed, but no luck. It still hangs from time to time, namely when:

- downloading from mozilla firefox (from time to time)
- transferring data from dvd to my c:\ drive (larger files)
- moving data from c:\ partition to my d:\ partition (larger files)
- using Azureus 2.3.0.4 (freezes VERY fast when executed; lives about 15 minutes before it hangs)
- using DC++ (freezes when left on for too long)

I was kind of thinking this couldn't be software related, regarding bugs and stuff... could it be some kind of virus my NOD32 is unable to detect? or is it just my hardware (configurations) that's faulty?

Sounds like a hard drive problem to me, since all those problems relate to data transfer. What did those Acer cd's contain? And did you format before you installed windows again?

Those Acer cd's contained recover data or something like that.. and those standard acer software.. the ones that got preinstalled with the delivery of the laptop, which was also one of the reasons i got rid of that windows.

I did format before installing windows, and made two different partitions. The C:\ drive containing all my stuff (85,0 GB / NTFS) and the D:\ drive containing the windows/system files (8,0 GB / NTFS).

The preinstalled laptop had two partitions of both approximately 45,0 GB. I am not sure whether it was FAT32 or NTFS at first, but does that really matter?

You're right, that shouldn't matter. Do you ever hear the hard disk click or "ding" before it freezes? That would make it certain that it's a hd error. You should try a hard disk error tool. If you want a suggestion there are several available on the Ultimate Boot CD that I like to use. Just google that and you should be able to download and burn the iso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom