Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuickStar

Baseband Member
Im crashing constantly. Im running windows xp , radeon 7000 , 700+mb of ram.

Ive brought my computer in to 5 computer shops (future shop including) and i have had my hard drive replaced , ram replaced , windows re installed , and a new graphic card install , and nothing seems to stop me from crashing.

for example , i may be playing a game and all of a sudden *bang* the game crashes to my desktop. Or sometimes , im surfing the web or washing a video and *bang* my computer restarts.

I have no idea whats wrong , i cant stop my constant crashes , the only time im not crashing is when im just surfing the web, whenever i run any other applications i have a chance of crashing to my desktop or restarting my computer. It does all of this auto-maticaly.

make sure theres no temperature watcher programs running. sometimes they will restart your computer if the temp goes outside a certain threshold. especially with asus boards. mine has one.

i would suspect the power supply and motherboard first. please list them. . . .oh hey, looks like i am copying you dave, oops :eek:

No i dont think i have any windows temp programs running , how can i check?

heres some more of my system requirements

System Manufacturer: GBT
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Memory: 768MB RAM
Sound : SB Audigy Audio

check your AGP voltage Asus tends to up them at default 1.6 .
I set mine to 1.5 . Does your board have Memory Bios setting for Turbo . If so back it down to Auto or even underclock it . I had the same problem with mine .
Im running Rambus on my home system
PC 1066 16-8
This drove me crazy when i built the system restarting all the time when running extreme graphics or programs .I did a fresh install several times :( I finally got smart and Downloaded MEMTest and ran it on my system .At 800 speed the memory had no errors.But at 1600 or Turbo the memory failed .
1 or both was not capable ot 1066 . So i had to RMA them.
The new sticks fixed the problem :)

well quickstar,as stated above there are many things that can cause crashes, Also check power supply make sure fan is staying on, not shutting off and going back on,,but the bestroute is to go to support site for your mainboard, see if there are any known issues with your mainboard.Also check memory are you using 2 different types, are they the right timing ?

It sounds like some kind of wierd temp thing.Id reset your bio's.Is a pin on your motherboard to reset it.Then when you restart it you might need to reset a few thing's.

Has your processor fan or power supply fan stopped working.After you have a crash. Pull the plug on your puter and feel around for a hot spot.Dont kill your self.

Other thing maybe you got a virus stored in your bio's of your mother board.Id say flash it but if you crash while flashing your gonna have a paper weight for your desk.

ive replaced my ram tons of times becuase of this purpose , im sure i got it right th is time.

My fan is working perfectly, i bought a new one maybe 3 months ago.

About the bios - i have no idea what your talking about , except a virus in the bios sounds very logical, i always have viruses , and im sure i got one stuck in my bio somewhere. Can you please tell me how id reset my bio without screwing up my PC etc? What would happen if i reset my bio? What is a bio? info please :)

To reset it. you take the ccmos1 pin.Should have 3 pin's.Should be on 1 and 2 pins for normal setting and 2 and 3 to reset.Worst that can happen from resetting is you might have to reset some things in your bio's.

To flash your bio's basicaly you format a disc and make it a DoS bootable Disk and load up your bio's fromyour mother broad manufacter.Should be explained at your boards site. If during flashing your computer crashes or turns off. You will have a paper weight for a mother broad.If you dont put the right bio's on your disk .You can wreck your mother board.It is really easy to do and really easy to mess up.Even your motherboard just like a microsoft update has up dates.

Here is mine for example.I have a Abit BW7.To do the flash i need to do this

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bioshelp.php

This is the bios i need to install on the floppy i made.

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=72

Try to reset bios first maybe its some temp command that got accidently switched to low.resetting should set everthing back to default.

If you flash make sure you do it right cause you get one shot. Did i mention that you can really mess up your board doing this.

This may not be your fix. Could be lots of differnt stuff.

If you got a warranty still good or tech support have them walk you through it. So if something bad happens you can get a new board.Some newer boards can be done with a CD.

Bah and a gimpy definition of what a bios is.When you first start your puter .Your bios tells it how to start up and what needs to be turned on and off.How much electricity is neeeded.What irq things should be on.A hardware controler for your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom