boot up problems...black sceen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazubb

Beta member
I'm fixing a custom built computer for a friend. I don't know much about the system, but when it boots up, the screen is black and the computer doesn't beep. But if I turn off the power switch on the power supply located at the back of her computer and flip it back on, it works. Computer beeps and there is picture. I can't figure it out. I'd like to fix it so she doesn't have to turn her computer off and back on every time she uses it. Please help me! Thanx!

Find out what the BIOS make is then check out the BIOS beep table on the manufacturers website for what the beep means.

Yes I am starting to think so too. But I would try to plug the computer on a different power outlet just to check.

Take the power supply out of that computer and put it in another. If it does the same thing in that computer then the problem is the powersupply. If it turns out that the powersupply is fine then flash the bios.

I connected her power supply to my PC and it powers it up just fine. My power supply is a 200w and hers is 480w. She recently had problems with her harddrive crashing and the computer freezing up and randomly shutting down. I had to reinstall windows XP for her a few weeks ago because she lost everything on the drive. Another thing I noticed is that who ever wired her computer wired the accessory fans by splicing them into the internal power cables rather then plugging them into the extra fan connectors located on the mother board. Don't know if that would cause any problems. Anyway, please let me know if you know what would cause it to boot up so strangely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom