quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clutchxiii said:
HEY i got one :) timmy took his old computer parts and decided to build a computer. He put it all together and it ran fine. He downloaded windows 98 onto it and got everything he needed. He then closed the tower up and put it into a comfortable spot. He turned it on and a voice came from the speakers "NO CPU INSTALLED" He let it sit and realized that the computer would boot up after 7-9 minutes. Timmy checked and resat the cpu and made sure it was there. Still his computer did not run right. He then was told that his psu wattage was not suffiecient. So he went and bought one that was double the wattage as before. He turned the computer on, but it took forever for it to run and the rear fan doesnt spin on the psu. Timmy then decided to put this quiz onto this forum. What did timmy do wrong?
btw: my name is not timmy ;)

oh... that 4 pin square power thing that plugs into the motherboard for intel processors

EDIT: and amd

I'm guessing I got it right..., here's another

this one should be easy, and usefull for people wanting to overclock...
Problem:
Timmy has an older computer he would like to overclock, it has an amd athlon xp at 1.9Ghz so he goes into the bios and raises the front side bus(FSB) from 133 to 150, and leaves the multiplier at 15... when he starts the computer it says that it's now 2.25Ghz, but after a few seconds it will become to hot and unstable, then freeze...

Question:
What thing(s) can he do to fix this?

Get a much more powerful powersupply with sufficient wattage.
Get a better cooling solution than fans like watercooling.
Or set it back to default.

That's all I can think of..

perfect, also, he could lower the fsb untill it's stable...

Problem:
Timmy's computer just got a bad virus that has imbeded itself into the partition, so he decides to do a fresh install of windows... he puts the xp install cd into the drive and turns on the computer, the computer starts loading windows as if no cd is present...

Question:
What should he do to get the cd to boot?

Change is boot priority to floppy drive, Cd drive, hard drive.
He should delete the partition using fdisk first.
Boot into the CD and format the HD and install windows again.

yep,... hmmm...

ok,

Problem:
Back to that old computer Timmy dug up, He installed the cord from the cd drive to the sound card, and now the cd sound plays, but everytime the computer is turned on the time is reset..

Question:
What is causing the problem, and what can he do to fix it?

Alright I got one, I'll try to be clear as possible.

Timmy just bought a new motherboard, he wants to use his older PC part (Powersupply,CPU,video card,RAM,Harddrive). All his old parts works just fine. Assumming all the computer parts and the motherboard are all working.

Now Timmy has some experience with basic computer building. He puts all the necessary part together (Powersupply,CPU,RAM, and Video card). Assuming the powerswitch, reset switch are all in the right configuration and all the component are not dead.

When Timmy press the power button, only the fan and powersupply starts up. His screen is blank and no beep. What is wrong with it.

Hint: Remember the boot process, what happens before POST

Juice Daddy said:
yep,... hmmm...

ok,

Problem:
Back to that old computer Timmy dug up, He installed the cord from the cd drive to the sound card, and now the cd sound plays, but everytime the computer is turned on the time is reset..

Question:
What is causing the problem, and what can he do to fix it?

Buy new cmos battery, his old one is dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom