AMD advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a search, and have still not found what I am looking for. The posts that I found asking questions about AMD processors already had a processor in mind. I however do not know enough about AMD processors to even make that initial selection.

Let me add to my question so it is a bit more specific.

I know that AMD has the 64 bit chip, however I have also heard that since most programs have been written for 32 bit processors, they will actually run slower on a 64 bit chip. Is this so?

Is it not best also to buy a 64 bit operating system then? I am not sure I want to go out and buy another operating system.

In that case, what is an example of a 32 bit AMD chip that is around $300 and is also good chip? Or am I wrong in my above assumptions and it is still better to spend a bit more and get the 32 bit chip?

ryodoan said:
I have done a search, and have still not found what I am looking for. The posts that I found asking questions about AMD processors already had a processor in mind. I however do not know enough about AMD processors to even make that initial selection.

Let me add to my question so it is a bit more specific.

I know that AMD has the 64 bit chip, however I have also heard that since most programs have been written for 32 bit processors, they will actually run slower on a 64 bit chip. Is this so?

Is it not best also to buy a 64 bit operating system then? I am not sure I want to go out and buy another operating system.

In that case, what is an example of a 32 bit AMD chip that is around $300 and is also good chip? Or am I wrong in my above assumptions and it is still better to spend a bit more and get the 32 bit chip?

1st Question - NO
2nd - If you want to, but you dont have to. I would wait until Vista comes out and there is more 64bit support before you make that move
3rd - 64 bit is the future. Look into an Anthlon 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom