Next build - $900 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU DON'T NEED HIGH END STUFF FOR AN EPOX MOTHERBOARD. Where did you pull that out of? The EPoX is $23 cheaper than the DFI, which makes it a better buy for a budget computer in my opinion. I had an $800 budget... got myself a 3000+ Venice, and 2x512MB of OCZ Performance Series RAM (Not top of the line by any means) and the EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra motherboard. I have my CPU overclocked to 2.4 Ghz, with room to go higher if I wanted to.

what im saying is that its not going to be the same. i mean you can probably OC higher with the DFI board with the 3000+ and the OCZ ram.

Unless you use the stock multiplier, which was my argument from the very beginning. You took my post and turned it around, and started putting words in my mouth. I have no problem agreeing that the DFI is the better all around motherboard, but the EPoX isn't total shit either like most people around here seem to think. Unless you really wanna squeeze that extra 100Mhz out of your processor, I think the EPoX is a fine choice, at $23 less.

also the quality of the DFI board is much better

Nubius said:
DFI has more than just 10 RAM options dude.

It's the quality of the materials used to make the board, the BIOS options, the BIOSs made for the board things like that. When I say the quality of the materials, I mean things like japanese capacitors which is what DFI uses....they provide the best quality for capacitors meaning the likelihood of them failing or being unstable compared to other boards that don't use them is slim.

Being able to retain good stable voltages, a highly optimized BIOS and things like that make it the best OC'ing board.

People know the max of their CPU because they test it....you can only push a CPU so far before it simply won't be stable....same thing if you're lifting weights...50lbs might be easy, 60lbs might, and you'd just keep going until the bar falls and crushes your neck, then you know next time to not go as far.

The point is, the DFI DOES overclock better, rather it doesn't 'overclock' per se, but it is the best choice for making sure you get all the potential out of your CPU and RAM that you can....it's not world reknowned just for the hell of it ya know.

DFI is mainly for the enthusiasts...it's "Complicated' because mainly it has all those RAM options to tweak and get every ounce of performance out of your system...it's this attention to detail to try and make a board for those who really want to get crazy with their hardware that also makes it the best out there.

Yes the chipsets are the same, nforce4 is nforce4 is nforce4, but the chipset doesn't really directly effect your overclocking.

As for whether or not via does worse/better than an nforce4 chipset, well all the makers who use via chipsets aren't reknowned for having top quality boards made for OC"ing

I never said the DFI wasn't a quality board. Now you're just making arguments out of nothing.

Originally posted by Nubius
DFI is mainly for the enthusiasts...it's "Complicated' because mainly it has all those RAM options to tweak and get every ounce of performance out of your system...it's this attention to detail to try and make a board for those who really want to get crazy with their hardware that also makes it the best out there.

Not everyone "really wants to get crazy with their hardware," so by recommending a DFI board to every single person that comes in here asking for advice on their computer build, that tells me that you're not actually paying attention to their individual needs. Why suggest a $120+ board that will give the same results for the person in question as a $90-100 board?

well if you dont want to get complicated you might as well go with MSI!

DFI board for extreme OCing and if you have the money

MSI board for mild OCing and a budget

Well there ya go... now stop recommending the DFI board to every single person that needs a computer built. :) Especially people with a $900 budget, like banefulassasin. Unless, of course, he is into extreme overclocking, which I'm still not sure about.

haha. im not into oc'ing too much. i plan on oc'ing a little, but not anything crazy. i will get the dfi if i have the cash, but im totally cool with the epox as well. doesnt bother me.

MSI K8N NEO4-F 83 dollars, and you can use the extra cash for something else ;)

and why did ne say 6800? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom