what would be the cause of locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is getting ridiculous!

i cant find anything that is causing this... its still acting up... just moments ago... i changed my winxp theme and while it was changing ( "Please Wait" ) it restarted on me... and while windows was starting back up... it froze, so i reset it... and while it was restarting and got to the win xp loading screen... it restarted again... its like a land slide... one thing goes and it keeps going....

hmmm... all the hardware check out... maybe ill just start out by replacing my hdd... and go from there... ive been wanting to get a bigger one anyways...

okay, get the restart to stop by soliciting an error (it'll lock up probably but at least we'll have an error). Rt click my computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery and remove the check from automatic reboot in the system failure or whatever section. Then post the error. Also post what event viewer errors you have. One thing to check is to update the MBD chipset drivers (miniport agp, etc), temp ranges (doubtful, but may as well) and also wondering if the PSU is bad.... its a good one, but could be defective.

you might have a bootsector virus. use powermax in my signature to wipe your harddrive clean and then reinstall windows

Lets try this, remove/unplug any unnecessary devices this include any CD/DVD drives, floppy drives, any PCI card like sound card, network card. Take off one of the RAM stick. So you should just have 1 ram stick on the system, the video card and harddrive to boot into windows.

Now try and screw around and produce that same situation. I just want to isolated certain devices.

The reason I want to try just 1 stick of ram is because I want to isolate dual channel, I thought you might be running in dual channel since the BIOS is set to automaticly detect the RAM setting.

killians45 said:
okay, get the restart to stop by soliciting an error (it'll lock up probably but at least we'll have an error). Rt click my computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery and remove the check from automatic reboot in the system failure or whatever section. Then post the error. Also post what event viewer errors you have. One thing to check is to update the MBD chipset drivers (miniport agp, etc), temp ranges (doubtful, but may as well) and also wondering if the PSU is bad.... its a good one, but could be defective.

ive already turned off the auto restart...

event viewer errors:

application:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
Date: 10/19/2005
Time: 12:23:41 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MIKE-20FFCA6F1A
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
Date: 10/18/2005
Time: 3:19:59 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MIKE-20FFCA6F1A
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Security:

none

System:

none

as far as the drivers go... theyve all been updated (i believe they have been anyways)... and the i dont think it would be the psu, hasnt given me any trouble... had it for almost a year..

EricB said:
you might have a bootsector virus. use powermax in my signature to wipe your harddrive clean and then reinstall windows

whats a bootsector virus? ill try that this weekend

edit: nevermind... i googled it and found out what it is... question now is... can that virus be transmitted over the net??? cause in the article it said that it was spread using a floppy, i dont use floppys...

also... do i download the powermax floppy of cd.iso?

Law said:
Lets try this, remove/unplug any unnecessary devices this include any CD/DVD drives, floppy drives, any PCI card like sound card, network card. Take off one of the RAM stick. So you should just have 1 ram stick on the system, the video card and harddrive to boot into windows.

Now try and screw around and produce that same situation. I just want to isolated certain devices.

The reason I want to try just 1 stick of ram is because I want to isolate dual channel, I thought you might be running in dual channel since the BIOS is set to automaticly detect the RAM setting.

ill also try that out this weekend... wouldnt i have to leave the video card in??? what am i gonna hook the moniter cable up to? and yes.. i am running dual channel ram... is that a bad thing?

i just did a check disc... nothing bad came up... but it looks like firefox was reset on me... my bookmarks are gone and all the defults are back in place... wtf

Yes of course leave the video card in, that's what I said you should just have 1 stick of ram, video card, harddrive (where the OS reside), and CPU, keyboard, mouse, monitor....

At this point I want to try just 1 stick of RAM because dual channel might be the source of the problem.

if you have a boot sector virus, it will come back even if you reinstall windows. it hard for an A/V to detect it because it is in the 8mb unused part of the partition on the harddrive

you can either use one of the powermax versions. it is especially useful for removing those types of viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom