Does AMD Athlon(64 Bit) Has No DDR2 Ram support

Status
Not open for further replies.
FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
I think they're skipping straight to DDR3, but that's just what I've heard. Anybody have an actual final verdict?

Ryan

yea. they're beating intel by going straight to ddr3 on their socket m2. socket m2 is like socket 1048 or something

yea. they're beating intel by going straight to ddr3 on their socket m2. socket m2 is like socket 1048 or something
that's just all kinds of wrong.

THey aren't skipping DDR2 as idiotec pointed out, and M2 will be Socket 940, but won't be compatible with the socket 940 that's already out

that's what I've heard about the socket. Same # of pins, and actually the same shape, but not compatible. Hence, the different name. I wasn't sure about the RAM though.

Ryan

As always with AMD and Intel you can't just look at the raw clock speeds considering they both use different architectures with different instruction per cycle rates

AMD64s use a ondie memory controller meaning that the FSB speed is technically the speed of the actual core whereas Intel still needs a link between the core and northbridge which is substancial lower...this accounts for the added memory bandwidth in AMD64s making DDR as efficent as faster rated DDR2

In addition, if you were compare DDR to DDR2 both running at 200MHz the DDR would be faster due to lower latencies

Thanx!!! to all for help............:D but i still wonder about DDR rams with 500 Mhz feq...... and u wont find supporting motherboard either............as mentioned in the reply.........;)

Ok guys one more querry.........................:D
How does the No. of socket Pins matter in performance or whats so specific about them (939/940/754)

Socket 754 is phasing out fast. It's the least capable socket you have listed. It supports 64 bit processors, but only single channel ram.

Socket 939 is probably what you want. Dual channel ram, and 64 bit technology. This is pretty much the gaming standard.

Socket 940 is almost entirely for server processors now. I think Shawn said that the first FX series processors were on here, but I dunno. You won't be buying socket 940.

Ryan

Geee Thanx!

Thanx Buddy for Help!.........;)

Yes i am gonna go (939) and definately not (940)
Thanx Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom