GFx Card for a Shuttle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes.. the shuttle has AGP.. but see, what im say about the x850 XT bein cheaper is that.. on the SHELF its $320.. but i can get it for a discount price.. so i can get it for cheaper than $320..

i put a link up for the Shuttle that im gettin.. and i am prolly gonna get the shuttle mod peice that is a window with 2x 80mm fan slot on it.. i put a link for that too.. so that should help with cooling if there is even a problem with cooling

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16856101471

http://xoxide.com/sunbeam-shuttle-xpc-mod-clear.html

Shuttles are built to be cool inside despite how hot one would think it should be. Its actualy not THAT hot and high end processors and video cards wil be very stable. A point that was brought up though was the fact that the card you choose is ATIs hottest card (havent read up on the new ones yet but i will soon) and that COULD be a problem. I dont persoanly think it will but some more efficient cooling will do the trick.

The X1K series is hotter than ever. Its using the most voltage of any video card out there and despite its controversial cooler, it stills runs as hot as ever.

As for the 6800GT vs. X850XT, its pretty much give or take. In some games, the 6800GT leads by a large margin, and in other games the X850XT leads by a large margin. Usually, its the 6800GT that leads and I would choose it over the X850XT just because of OpenGL and SM3, but the X850XTs handle 1600x1200 resolutions better. Though the rest of your hardware had better be damn good too to be running at 1600x1200.

As long as you can keep the card, processor, and basically the rest of the case cool, then its fine to have whatever you want inside it. Be warned though; My friend bought a semi-shuttle. It was a shuttle but wasn't called a shuttle. Anywayz, two wires in the Power Supply connected, causing a huge surge. It destroyed the PSU and literally fried half the motherboard.

EDIT: Oh yea, and the 6800GT is MUCH cheaper than the X850XT. If you can get the X850XT on "cheaper-than-shelf" price then you should also be able to get the 6800GT on "cheaper-than-shelf" price.

You can basically put any card in a shuttle, i personally would recommend a small watercooling system for the box itself (small pump, small rad, and a small res from dangerden for example) and dedicate the whole waterloop to the video card.

hmm.. i was lookin at the x850 XT, and i dont think ill be able to put it in the Shuttle... because it takes up the PCI slot below it in a normal case... and i think the PCI slot is on the wrong side of the AGP slot.. unless im lookin at it wrong..

so i may have to go with the x850 Pro or the x800 XL...

well... does it take up the PCI slot, or does it just cover it up? I'm not really very versed in how the newer cards work.

Ryan

see, that's what I thought from about every picture I've looked at. So, assuming you have room, then it's fine to plug in right there.

Ryan

no.. i know that it hovers over the PCI slot.. but i dont think the PCI slot is on the right side of the AGP slot for the x850 XT to fit... cuz u have to use the spot where the dust plate goes in the PCI slot below it.. thats how the fan cools the GFx Card...

so i think i might have to go with the x800 XL or the x850 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom