what would be the cause of locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSXmike

In Runtime
i reformatted the other day cause of this problem... my computer was locking up at random times... so now today after the reformat and everything reinstalled, i tried playing some FFXI and no more than a few minutes into the game and my computer locks up again... wtf... what could it possibly be? everything seems to be running right and all my drivers were updated cause of the format.... im out of ideas... please shed some insight

edit: i checked my task manager and System Idle Process was hitting 99 a lot on the CPU tab, that normal?

What kind of "Lock up" is it... Is it a complete system lock up with no mouse movement ?

Or is it just an applicational lockup ?

Abit doesn't fully support kingston value ram or many of kingston, they are very particular about the ram. Check the catalyst setting in the SMARTGART tab, which is in your display setting advance tab. If fastwrite is enable you could disable it and bring down your AGP setting to off. Disable fastwrite in BIOS will do it for you in windows setting automaticly.

bradybnmci said:
What kind of "Lock up" is it... Is it a complete system lock up with no mouse movement ?

Or is it just an applicational lockup ?

yea its a complete lock up... cant do anything

and that rams been in there for over a year with out any problems... why would it start giving me problems now

Law said:
This happen only when you are playing games? Or does it happen no matter what?

random times... sometimes i wont be doing anything and itll freeze... other times ill be browsing the net or playing a game and itll freeze... its pretty random

Law said:
You try to disable fastwrite and set apg speed to off?

i had to re-download catalyst controller... it was saying something about files being missing the last time i used it

Yea there's two version of driver for windows xp, one with control panel and the other is catalyst control panel. Which one you choose to install, I use the control panel one which is about 25mb in size. When I try the other one it gives me error missing specific file also.

Law said:
Yea there's two version of driver for windows xp, one with control panel and the other is catalyst control panel. Which one you choose to install, I use the control panel one which is about 25mb in size. When I try the other one it gives me error missing specific file also.

so only get the 25mb or so one? im guessing so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom