Status
Not open for further replies.

tsh

Baseband Member
Like the topic says...

I have a Dell Xps 3 system

3.4 Intel P4 with HT technology
Level 1 (l1) cache 16 KB
Level 2 (L2) cache 1-MB pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, write-back SRAM

Intel 03
Pentium 4
3.4 GHZ/1M/800
SL758 Malay
L419A700

2 GB of 533-MHZ DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM

Ati x800xt graphics card

Sound blaster Audigy 2

My computer stopped working about 87 days ago... Dell has delayed and delayed the parts for my computer and never has fixed anything... I am thinking of taking them to small clams to sue and probably will. They said they are sending me another computer (not new) to me in about 10 daysÂ… then when ten days passed 15Â… then 20Â…. I called them 70 times already and they do nothing to help... They lie about if itÂ’s shipped or not or if itÂ’s even in stock... They are not even in the US for tech support. And after 87 days with my 4 year warranty which cost about 300-400$ I figure it is never going to be fixed and I can not wait any longer.

My question is

What can I buy to get my computer working? I donÂ’t know whatÂ’s wrong with my computer it just doesnÂ’t turn on.

Sound card and graphics card work perfectly...

I am thinking of taking the parts out of my computer that still work and replacing everything in a new case...

What kind of mother board should I get?

What processor?

Power supply?

And what kind of cooling if needed

I use this computer for business (real estate which is nothing demanding on the computer just a lot of info) and just to play around with games (FEAR, Bf2 Black and White 2 etc)... For games res of 1200 and settings all on high... best of the best I guess I would need. Or just something I wouldnÂ’t have to upgrade in about a year or 2

I looked at newegg but there is just too many parts to pick from... ranging from 1000 to 200 for a Intel processor... but I donÂ’t know if a processor like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116214 will ever really be needed... Or will an AMD be better... But then again they range from 100 to 900.

Then what power supply would I need?

And what are good chases?

Also should I get rid of my 2 GB of 533-MHZ ram and buy 2 GB of 667-MHZ ram? Or is there no real difference and its not needed? Ram is very cheap so it wouldnÂ’t be a big deal if itÂ’s better.

Is Dual core processors or Extreme Dual core processors needed for what I use? Or just a waste for most things?

When Ati comes out with x1800xt I will be getting that. Think its sometime in November

What sound card should I buy? Which is the best?

I guess ill I need is

1) Chase
2) Sound Card
3) Power supply
4) Processor
5) Mother board
6) Any cooling if needed and cables that are needed to install

I just wonÂ’t to get the main parts but keep it cheaper then what I bought for the whole computer. I pretty much need all the main components replaced. Any help would be great... just canÂ’t wait any more for my computer to work. I keep track of everything in it that I doÂ… IÂ’m most likely losing money probably more then I think

I think you should look at repairing your current computer first, as it seems to be a pretty decent computer.

Tell us what happens when you press the power button on the case. Does anything at all happen? Do drives start spinning? Do you get to POST?

sounds like a mobo fried or psu is completly shot.. or the powersupply switch isnt turned on... lol <-- i have almost bought a new psu because of that...

Mother board was replaced...

What happens when I turn it on is nothing really... Fans spin real loud and thatÂ’s all it does... no screenÂ… no beeping... no nothing

If it is the power supply...

I have been waiting for it about 60 days... and it is never in stock (dell tells me itÂ’s shipped then they tell me itÂ’s out of stock etc etc)... I learned when this problem happened that dell makes the computer only upgradeable or replaceable from there components... So there was no way for me to get replacements seeing how its only dell power supply that would fit... but then again it could be something else, but I would have no idea what..

I still do not understand why they couldnÂ’t give me a different power supply... which is only a little higher then what I have (560wats)... I even offered to pay for how ever much it would cost but they wouldnÂ’t give me the only other power supply in stock that would work... Even after 60 days passedÂ… dell has terribly tech support

I donÂ’t know if I can really wait any longerÂ… itÂ’s almost been 100 days with no working computer

Edit:

What I am using to type is a 100-200 $ computer to let me get minor business done... so I wont lose tons of money... just got it 4 days ago when I learned 13-20 people have not payed for about 30-40 days.. Real disappointment

But this computer can not do much at all

I don't know that I would wait 100 days for basic tech support to come around. Ask to speak to a supervisor when you call, and insist it be some one who speaks English as a native language. E-Mail Dell directly at their site.

"I don't know that I would wait 100 days for basic tech support to come around. Ask to speak to a supervisor when you call, and insist it be some one who speaks English as a native language. E-Mail Dell directly at their site."

(I have done this many times)

Are you just not being assertive enough. I would have raised some serious hell before now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom