System keeps locking up every after few minutes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
Hi guys

what are the possible causes for a system the locks up out of nothing?

Reboot and using it is smooth... no problems.. untill it suddenly locks up with absolutely no reason (that i can think of)...

It locks up when doing something, it locks up when not doing anything at all also....

the only patern i see is that it locks up after just a few minutes from start up.. it stays steady a good 5 minutes .. then between 6-20 minutes (common is around 10 minutes only) it just decides to freeze.. being used or not..

i've ruled out viruses causing this.. i have checked everything myself, services, startups, etc etc..

I have disabled even the regular startup services that are NOT needed.. like hp printer monitor, and similar things... SAME EXACT SCENARIO..

I've ruled out bad ram as well... i did a ram check and it went on overnight without problems..

please guys. any ideas? or should i just go ahead and reinstall?

Let us know of your hardware setup. You should also use some hardware monitoring tool to check and see if overheating might be to blame.

start, run, type msconfig..go to startup...disable all and reboot and see if it still hangs

um.. i've checked all LEGIT start up items.. but for the benefit of a doubt.. i disabled them all.. same problem.. didnt help..

Let us know of your hardware setup. You should also use some hardware monitoring tool to check and see if overheating might be to blame.

i have an INtel P4 2.0Gz, 256MB ram, asRock motherboard, lan card, 2 CD roms. typical setup really.. just for office

Take the cover off and see if the CPU is so cloged that its over heating.If not it sounds like a power supply is going out.Power supplys can DIE 2 ways hard all at once or easy a little at a time.

Take the cover off and see if the CPU is so cloged that its over heating.If not it sounds like a power supply is going out.Power supplys can DIE 2 ways hard all at once or easy a little at a time.
thanks for your reply.. nope.. CPU getting good ventilation... fan rotating ok.. no clogs.

how can powersupply cause FREEZES? Dont they cause SUDDEN REBOOTS?

Did we get a solution to this problem? Because now im having this problem.

My HP Slimline 92xx series pc running wXP freezes approximatley 5 minutes from startup, everytime... no matter whats going on, if anything. When i say freeze... the computer stops sending an image to the monitor and it goes black. the keyboard locks up with the Num Lock light on and the PC itself is still powered on. But im not getting anything.

Any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom