AMD Athlon 64 bit Processors + New system building advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker

In Runtime
I did a search for this, but couldn't quite find what I needed. So what is the difference between these AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 3200+ etc. compared to Pentium 4 Hyperthreading processors? I notice most you guys have the AMD's, are they really better? How so? Are they more reliable?

I'm asking because I want to build a new system with dual video card and monitor setup. Will the AMD support a dual video card and monitor? I find your suggestions with Newegg helpful, can you guys give me more suggestions as to what parts I can buy for less than $1000? . That's just for the PC, not the monitors, I'll be getting 19" Dell Ultrasharps. For a video card for example, I don't need one that's top of the line, not crappy either, just decent I guess. Basically, what's the best I can get for less than $1000?

Dual video cards aren't always necessary for dual monitors. Some video cards have two outputs. AMD processors tend to benchmark higher in gaming, intels in applications. I'll let the guys with the opinions sell you the parts. My setup is in my sig and cost like 500 bucks. I'd get my system, but a better video card.

Ryan

I have to go. Amds are better for gaming despite their lower clock speeds. The 3000+ is a 1.8GHz processor and is equal to a 3.0GHz Pentium 4. the 3200+ is a 2.0GHz processor and is equal to a 3.2GHZ Pentium 4.

yeah, i really regret gettin an intel 3.2Ghz, i was noob when i did tho.

^^ and thats ment to say 2.18Ghz not 21.8Ghz.

^^ and thats ment to say 2.18Ghz not 21.8Ghz.
Actually it's meant to say 1.8GHz ;)

As said before, AMDs tend to benchmark a little higher in games. Personally, I dont see that big of a difference. I went with AMD to see what all the fuss is about. Dont get me wrong, I am very happy with the performance of my system. My point is that if you go with either AMD or Intel, and you build it right, you wont be disappointed with it's performance.

Also, most newer vid cards have a version available that has 2 outputs (one usually VGA, and the other DVI) that you can use to run dual monitors. For example, this video card will be able to play games decently, and be able to support dual monitors nicely for a good price. An upgrade of that card would be the 6600GT. It is a good card that supports dual monitors, and plays most any new game with good settings.

You will be able to find some other AMD $1000 builds around here:D If you have any more questions, post back or PM me.

Haha, yea sorry guys, I meant 1.8GHz not 21.8GHz, sorry if I gave someone a heart attack, I was in a hurry and on my way out somewhere, lol.

AMD CPUs perform better at lower clock speeds (MHz) than Pentium 4 CPUs do at higher clock speeds. I could explain why but it gets a little complicated (It has to do with the architecture and processor pipelines). Basically, a 2.0GHz AMD Athlon 64 is equal to a 3.2GHz Pentium 4. HOWEVER, this is only true for regular proecsses. For gaming, AMD gains an even greater lead. My belief is that a 2.0GHz Athlon 64 is more like a 3.5GHz Pentium 4 in gaming. Games benefit from the shorter pipelines of the Athlon 64s.

Like Elbatrop1 said, if you can find a Pentium 4 of equal performance, then you won't have any problems, but to answer your question about why most of us have AMD processors, its because most of us are gamers and built our own machines. Yes, AMD processors are really better, and are often more reliable.

Right now, AMD is outperforming Intel in every area except video encoding/multimedia. AMD's best CPUs are by and far better than Intel's best CPUs. In the Dual Core Arena, AMD completely dominates Intel, even with video encoding. Its again, because of the architecture of the Athlon 64s; AMD Dual Core CPUs (X2s) communicate to eachother and the rest of the system faster than Intel Dual Cores (Pentium-Ds).

AMD isn't like Apple either, their processors are completely compatible with any hardware or software (with the exception of motherboards). Hopefully, that explained AMD for you.

As for the video card; I believe Elbatrop1 said it all. If you still need help with a $1000 build, we will be happy to help you.

Elbatrop1 said:

As said before, AMDs tend to benchmark a little higher in games. Personally, I dont see that big of a difference. I went with AMD to see what all the fuss is about. Dont get me wrong, I am very happy with the performance of my system. My point is that if you go with either AMD or Intel, and you build it right, you wont be disappointed with it's performance.

Also, most newer vid cards have a version available that has 2 outputs (one usually VGA, and the other DVI) that you can use to run dual monitors. For example, this video card will be able to play games decently, and be able to support dual monitors nicely for a good price. An upgrade of that card would be the 6600GT. It is a good card that supports dual monitors, and plays most any new game with good settings.

You will be able to find some other AMD $1000 builds around here:D If you have any more questions, post back or PM me.

Yea I meant to say a single video card with two VGA outputs. Now what's the deal with the DVI port? Is that better than VGA? The one you suggested got a pretty bad review, so I guess I'll keep looking. Also if I get a AMD CPU, motherboard and case from Newegg will it come with the heatsink fan/cooling device and all the power and SATA cables for a SATA HDD, and power supply? How do I know what to get for which CPU motherboard combo and the fit?
Another question, what do you guys think of the Dell 19" Ultrasharp flat panels. They got pretty good reviews. I'm probably not gonna do any kind of serious gaming, just online poker. It's response time is 20ms, is that too slow?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130214

if you got the retail versoin of the cpu it will come with a heatsink/fan. and your mobo will come with all the sata cables and stuff like that. so get the OEM version of your hdd. all you need to know is what socket goes to what socket if you get a socket939 mobo, you need a s939 cpu.

20ms is pretty slow, people want 8or slower, 12 if you have to.
i just got a free envision LCD, its 25ms, i cant even play my games its so blurry

Elbatrop1 said:

Some people also may use AMD because their cheaper, and we may have moral reasons why not to buy intel.

That 6600GT is actually the one I have, and I would personally give it a good review.

As for DVI, its just a different interface to plug monitors, but more specifically flatscreen TVs or monitors into. The 6600GT I linked for you actually comes with a DVI to VGA adapter. THat means that you can throw on that adapter, and it's like you now have 2 VGA ports on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom