BestBuy lied to me when they sold me my computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bartthecartoon said:
What video card do you recomend tha I get? Remember all I have is PCI. Are there any good PCI video cards that I could get 2 of and link them?

no, you can't link any pci cards. That technology for vid cards is like over 3 years old I believe. How did you end up with just pci slots I do not know.

"linked" vid cards is relatively new technology, I don't even think you can SLI or crossfire agp cards (maybe wrong). Everything now is on PCI-E cards.

Anyway, what games are we talking? I can't see that computer pulling any modern games.

Bottomline, I don't see how you could not have at least a agp 4x slot if the computer is new. You could probably add another stick of ram (what type of ram is it?) and buy a agp vid card and be able to play most games nowadays with medium to low settings.

If you don't have any agp slots, I don't know what to tell you. Return it because it isnt very upgradable.

Rmaia said:
no, you can't link any pci cards. That technology for vid cards is like over 3 years old I believe. How did you end up with just pci slots I do not know.

"linked" vid cards is relatively new technology, I don't even think you can SLI or crossfire agp cards (maybe wrong). Everything now is on PCI-E cards..

SLI technology is old....... It has been out for a while, like 6-8 years something like that. You were able to team up 2 PCI Voodoo Cards.

bartthecartoon said:
I bought an e-machines computer from BestBuy a few months ago and it was listed in their ad as having 512 MB of Ram. Today I opened it up and the RAM stick said right on it that it was only 256 MB. Is there anything that I can do about this? I feel very cheated.

why would you buy a computer from bestbuy....

Get in line, lots of ppl get cheated by BestBuy. They're probably not going to do anything for you. As far as your pc goes, in no way was that one ever meant for gaming. It's not going to be very good at it, either. The video card you've selected is about as good as you're going to be able to use on your pc, and it's very low end compared to what's out now. That card was new 2 years ago and even then it was on the low end.
If possible, complain and return the pc you've bought (assuming you're not beyond the 14 or 30 days you've got to do so). Buy a better pc, even if it's just an HP or Compaq and try to steer clear of BestBuy in the future.

don't buy either of those he said, ESPECIALLY do not get alienware or dell (wayyy overpriced). build your own or buy from monarchcomputer.com

bartthecartoon said:
I bought an e-machines computer from BestBuy a few months ago and it was listed in their ad as having 512 MB of Ram. Today I opened it up and the RAM stick said right on it that it was only 256 MB. Is there anything that I can do about this? I feel very cheated.

Moltov Coctail !

Rmaia said:

"linked" vid cards is relatively new technology, I don't even think you can SLI or crossfire agp cards (maybe wrong). Everything now is on PCI-E cards.

Anyway, what games are we talking? I can't see that computer pulling any modern games.

Bottomline, I don't see how you could not have at least a agp 4x slot if the computer is new. You could probably add another stick of ram (what type of ram is it?) and buy a agp vid card and be able to play most games nowadays with medium to low settings.

If you don't have any agp slots, I don't know what to tell you. Return it because it isnt very upgradable.

All I know is that I have 3 white expansion connectors in the back of my motherboard. On of them is filled by my modem and when I check to see my modem properties it says that it is plugged into PCI 3. Is there any way to make sure that I don't have a better connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom