do you guys keep your pc on while sleeping?

System gets restarted every time I boot

• System gets restarted every time I boot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cmos check sum bad(even after replacing with new cell)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
bradybnmci said:
"good practice" is to restart it once a day.

Only if you're running Windows.

I leave mine on all day. I can't sleep with it unless I'm really tired because of the light from the PSU, and my firewall is a P2 with a very noisy HDD so I gotta turn that off too. Also it's a waste of electricity unless it's doing something important.

I was told that leaving it on is somewhat of a good thing for your computer. When you turn your system on, the parts heat up and expand. When you turn your system off, the parts cool off and contract. This expanding/contracting stuff doesn't make computers happy in the long run. As for me... I've had no problems either way.

it's the same thing as a car...the most harmful part of a car running is when you first start it up

i usually restart, every morning or every other day just to give it a fresh start, and i turn it off for one day during the week.

I usually leave my file server on 24/7 for about a week and only shut it off for about an hour to let it cool down before turning it back on for another week

My main computer I generally shut off on school nights or when I'm away for extended periods of time so that I don't get any problems with leaks and so that my pump doesn't have its life worn out

I have 2 desktops, 1 laptop, and one desktop used as a FTP server. All run 24/7. The one I am on now, I built 5 years ago, and except for a coupla moves & storms, it has been on all the time.

Laptop has been on 24/7 for about 95% of its 3 years in use, except trips when we use it in the car for a DVD player. Then it gets shut off when not in use.

Dell XPS 800 FTP server has been on straight for over a year now, don't even turn it off for storms. If it blows, I quit serving files.

i keep mine on during the day and turn it off at night, unless i'm downloading something important

Mine always gets turned off at night.
I know a guy that will swear against ever having it off, and yet he always complains of dust for some reason...

I say bull to expanding, like Nubius said, would you leave your car on all the time? It's the same thing.

i leave on my pc and laptop only wen i need to dload sumthin important, other than that i only have my computers on wen i need to use them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom