Serial ATA problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsteen

Beta member
Ok here is my problem. I'm upgrading all my parts of my computer and I have the following items, but I've run into a snag.

A7V600 Mobo
Athon XP 2600 CPU
WD 30 Gig Hd
Hitachi Deskstar 160 Gig SATA Hd

Problem: Since I have a Parallel ATA Hd with my Win XP home I need to use this to get access into my computer. I've put the SATA Hd on SATA port on the mobo. I have the latest Raid controller along with the latest bios from ASUS.

For some reason the VIA Raid Tool recognizes my Hitachi Hd, but for some reason when I open 'My Computer' the Hd is not listed, but is listed in the 'Device Manager. This is frustrating. I want to clone the old Hd to put it on the new one so I can only have one Hd in this computer and use the other ones I have to put into another computer with the old parts and use it as a file server.

Does anyone know why this happens. Any help would be appreciated. I should have bought another Parallel Hd instead. What a pain.

Thanks.

Forsteen

serial ATA has a larger bandwidth than PATA (IDE) 150 MHz vs 100 or 133 for Ultra ATA.
Here is one way to solve your problem.
Remove your IDE drive and just keep your SATA.
Install OS in SATA drive.
shut off computer and install IDE drive.
Your BIOS should put your load device priority with SATA first, if not, do it manually.
Then, just transfer files from the old PATA drive to new one. That's how I did it when I upgraded.

i think he meant MB/ sec instead of Mhz. i rather stick to ATA133, SATA usually run pretty hot and you don't notice much improvement over ATA133 unless it is running at 10,000RPM or faster. you almost always need a HDD cooler. speeze and thermaltake make some good ones. check newegg.com for prices.

im a lil confused, but did you set sata on master ? sometimes that works. let us know how you make out.

Yes I meant MB/sec (OOPS!) and yes they run a little hot but you don't necessarily need HDD cooler. The speed transfer is not always optimum, 150 is just max bandwidth. Nowadays, with the amount of RAM found in computers, HDD access is not as frequent therefore most poeple won't notice much difference. However, if you use your computer as a server for a LAN network where disk access time is very important or for CAD or any other intensive data storage/retrieving program, then yes you will definitely notice a huge difference. I say, if you have the choice, go with it.

Ok this is what I found out. In reality if you have a Parallel ATA (IDE) harddrive as a primary and you use a SATA as an alternate so to say then the bios recognizes the the SATA, but doesn't assign a letter for a drive. I had to go into the 'Disk Management' and partition the harddrive in order to assign a letter for windows to recognize it.

If anybody is curious about it read here further.
Partitioning and Formatting Reference Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom