Windows XP pro driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgl0re1

Baseband Member
Ok here goes. I have a ATI Radeon video card. Windows reconizes the card, and automatically loads the driver for it. The problem with this is that I have an updated driver for the card, and it sits in an .exe file. Windows XP does not reconize an .exe file as a driver. The directions with the driver say to uninstall the windows driver, let the system reboot, and run the driver program. The problem with this is windows xp pro automatically puts the windows driver back in place!! On ati site it says to take out the register keys for the ATI driver, but windows xp pro adds them right back. The OS gives me no way to stop the problem. I have tried to stop the auto program many times with no success. Any suggestions, maybee a way to disable this? Or maybee I am going to have to go into the computer, and hunt down all the drivers it has for my card to erase them. I hope you all can help. Keep in mind I am very computer literate, but have just today loaded up windows xp for the first time. :confused:

Tell me something.

Have you tried just installing the EXE drivers over the top of the windows drivers, from how that sounds like a misprint. There is no REAL way to stop windows from installing the generic drivers at bootup, so just give up on that, if you downloaded the drivers from ATI's site, installing them over the top of the windows driver should work just fine.

€cniv said:
Tell me something.

Have you tried just installing the EXE drivers over the top of the windows drivers, from how that sounds like a misprint. There is no REAL way to stop windows from installing the generic drivers at bootup, so just give up on that, if you downloaded the drivers from ATI's site, installing them over the top of the windows driver should work just fine.

Don't I wish. I contacted ati on the problem. They said if I install the drivers over top of each other I will not be able to remove the old one without missing up the new one. Bumer!

As for the other Idea The video drivers will not uninstall till you reboot. This means I would have the same problem as above. I may try it anyway as I see that I have no choice!:mad:

MicroBell said:
hummm.. If you installed the drivers..over the windows drivers....as long as your new drivers are listed in device manager....as what your useing...why would you want to delete the windows drivers?? Thats kinda what the "RollBack" drivers tab..will need if theres a problem with your new drivers...

You missunderstand Windows XP is puting an old version of the Radeon driver in upon boot up. I must get rid of the old to make way for the new, or it will cause problems. (the two versions use a lot of the same names, thus causing a problem.)

SePhErUm said:
Hmm.. Ever heard of Safe Mode? Try it without VGA support.. then with it.

Nice try, but did you see the part about having computer knowledge.:rolleyes: I have aready tried that. The program that is loading the old drivers is not affected by safe mode. so the same problem would exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom