Which AMD proc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F6Hawk

Baseband Member
The 64 x2 3800+ is $347, has 2 X 512 L2 cache, but uses only 89w of power.

The 64 x2 440+ is $526, has 2 X 1Gb L2 cache, and uses 110w of power.

Which would you opt for? I know the 2 X 1024 L2 will be faster, but is it worth an extra $200? It will also run hotter, making OCing an issue, I am afraid. Seems like the 3800+ is a cheaper, more OC-friendly solution, what say ye?

yah but if you can aford it go for the 4400 its cache is larger and if you cant justify it get a 4200 and o/c it to 4400 speeds.but i would go with an good heatsink if you o/c but you prolly know that already.

also the 4400 is the same as the 4800 but at different clock speeds so with some good cooling or something you could get it to 4800 speeds.

matt2m said:
also the 4400 is the same as the 4800 but at different clock speeds so with some good cooling or something you could get it to 4800 speeds.
True. I think with that idea in mind, water cooling would definitely be in order. Good idea.

Thanks for the input, the jury is still out!

Dude, don't jump on watercooling right now. Its harder than it looks and extremely risky...it can screw up your whole PC.

Even the stock HSF on the X2s is very good so you can probably get 2.6-2.8GHz out of a 2.2GHz X2.

Flanker said:
Dude, don't jump on watercooling right now. Its harder than it looks and extremely risky...it can screw up your whole PC.

Even the stock HSF on the X2s is very good so you can probably get 2.6-2.8GHz out of a 2.2GHz X2.
Risky, I can see. But hard? That one I DON'T see.

I was thinking about buying one of those small fridges to set beside the comp to keep my beer cold & handy.... and why not set the radiator inside, as well? A little extra hose, and the water would be a LOT colder than ambient!

F6Hawk said:
The 64 x2 3800+ is $347, has 2 X 512 L2 cache, but uses only 89w of power.

The 64 x2 440+ is $526, has 2 X 1Gb L2 cache, and uses 110w of power.

Which would you opt for? I know the 2 X 1024 L2 will be faster, but is it worth an extra $200? It will also run hotter, making OCing an issue, I am afraid. Seems like the 3800+ is a cheaper, more OC-friendly solution, what say ye?

I would get the x2 3800.

btw the x2 4400+ has 1mb L2 cache, not GB.

F6Hawk said:
I was thinking about buying one of those small fridges to set beside the comp to keep my beer cold & handy.... and why not set the radiator inside, as well? A little extra hose, and the water would be a LOT colder than ambient!

With i setup like this you will have to worry about condensation building up on your cooling setup inside your pc. like when you have a cold drink and it's hot and humid, you get water that builds up on the outside :eek: i wouldn't want to see that in my computer case. :p

we just made a freakin thread about putting the radiator/reservoir in the mini fridge. its called Refridgerator water, !! AHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom