My Computer is again not working properly!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom555

In Runtime
Hello,
There has been a lot of problems occurring in my pc.
1) I was checking MS-DOS, and i typed- E:\>debug e:
After rebooting, i saw my CD-ROM d drive icon in windows has vanished. Through MS-DOS, CD-ROM is accessible, but in windows and in my existing OS windowsME there is no option in 'control panel' about how to restore CD-ROM again.
2) Somehow or the other, my pc system has become bonkers. In the device manager its showing 'exclamation marks' at the the generic ide disk drives chip, showing that the pc and disk drives(c and d both ) are running under MS-DOS mode.
3) I am thinking of buying a new hard-drive in the future as the d-partition is showing a lot of bad sectors while scandisk surface is being used and also even scandisk is not working.
My question is- do all the harddisk rectagular case of compaq laptop come with same/similar shape and size,i.e. length,breadth and width wise. For eg. if i bought a harddisk of presario, will that be a universal harddisk so as to fit into any compaq laptop.

4) I can't access wordpad, i have even installed and uninstalled "Accessories" through windowssetup. But no sign of wordpad. Can the above mentioned problems...1,2 and 4 can be corrected if i uninstall windowsME and again install windowsME. Will the setup correct and gather all the hardware configuration as before and restore my pc to normal use?.

Any solutions.

-------------
phantom

I can only thing of one really good solution to fix all your problems at once. Format, and get rid of ME. That is by far the worst operating system Microsoft ever created. Put 2000 or XP on there and everything should fix itself. But if your looking for a more definate answer, good luck, cause that seems like a mess of problems that can't be fixed easily.

First off, I would make sure that you meet the requirements for XP and upgrade to rule out software. Like Texas Heat said, ME was a mistake. Microsoft released this O/S too quickly with way to many bugs. 98se is better IMO.

only had back luck with compaqs.

not that i had one.

my brothers both had compaq laptops and they both died before they could finish college (... in around 3 years)

and yes - all laptops use the same size harddrives.

as far as i know they do.

hmmm

Brrrrrrr,
I thought by just some clicks my pc would be again working properly.
Is this coz of a virus?. Or is it coz of firefox browser?. When i had first installed it, all the files and folders in my pc were turning black, in other words there was a black shadow taking over my files and folders. And when i removed firefox, my pc started to act bonkers.
Just last week i had again used firefox.
Did anyone of you had any experience?.

--------------
phantom

No It is ME. Once that OS is corrupted your toast. Back up all your critical data. Get out your check book and go buy a copy of XP pro upgrade. ME is the bastard step child of 98se and is an embarassing example of bad code!!!

hmmm

Brrrrrr,
at this moment, my pc is not even booting from the hard-disk. Even fdisk is not collecting info about the existing partitions.
I was asking if there exists anything like microsoft antivirus which can be run thru the MS-DOS mode-
For eg.
C:\>MSAV /all
Or anything such which can be run from a cd???.

And also one more question?.
Are there any specifications required for using a OS?.
Like RAM?, Pentium type?....etc, etc.

---------------------
phantom

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/ToolsDOSVirus.html
Try this.
And You can reinstall win ME it would be better than nothing and it will reconize all of your drivers better than 98.It is a crapy realese but it will work for ya.And you need at least 800mb prosessor and 512 of ram to run xp.And that really isnt going to run very fast at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom