New power-supply OR case with PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeece

Beta member
Hi all :) !

I was wondering: For my new machine, I'd like to upgrade my Power-supply (PSU). I'm looking for at least a dual fan one. And I'd like it to be reliable and "quiet". No necessarily totally silent, but not loudy.

I don't really know how much watts I need, but I have a 350W right now on my 850 Duron 'puter, and it fills my needs. Here's roughly what my future ride will be made of:

Mildly Overclocked Athlon 2500+
One S-ATA 120 Gb HD, or one S-ATA 36Gb 10k RPM + one IDE 60Gb 7200RPM
Two CD-ROM drives (Burner + DVD)
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (used) or new 9600 pro or XT...
One 6 inches cold cathode + some LEDs

Should I go with this "stealth" 420W 3-fan PSU and keep my No-name work-in-progress case...
Vantec 420A

...or buy a new case/380W PSU combo for 30$(canadian) more?
Antec Sonata
Very silent, but single fan :confused: . Oh, and it doesn't seem to be S-ATA ready. :umm:

If I had more $$$, I'd buy both...

500 Watts should be enough to run all of your devices. I think it is big enough for what you are doing. You should make sure that you have adequate ventallation for any case that you use. You should also look to put in extra fans. Computers run very hot and if you do not keep them cool enough they are just boat anchors.

usually bundle power supplies are bad quality because people choose cheap bundles, but the one you chose is good quality. maybe it is a bit expensive though.

thats a nice looking case BlindApex.

I'm tight fisted so i'd go for el cheapo.

wat part of 'nowhere' are you from jeece?

I'm about 50km (30 miles) east of Montreal, Quebec. ;)

And about the PSU, I'll go with the Vantec solution. Guess I'll have enough of 420W. Plus, the triple-fan design looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom