AGP VS PCI-E, what type of "REAL LIFE" improvement do you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
woot6600GT said:

dont worry, maybe the case will be the same with PCI-E 2 that it will take some time before you can take advantage of the extra bandwigh anyways.

Comptech said:
dont worry, maybe the case will be the same with PCI-E 2 that it will take some time before you can take advantage of the extra bandwigh anyways.

Well, that is not really the problem. The problem is that everybody will be forced to rebuild their systems yet again to support PCI-E 2, because video card manufacturers will likely quit supporting PCI-E as soon as PCI-E 2 hits, just like they did with AGP.

Im not sure if you can fit PCI-E1 card into a PCI-E2 slot, if you can then it shouldnt be a big problem.

I just discovered that ATI came out with the X1000 series. LOL, Im late, I was thinking about getting a 6600GT, but now I have to rethink about it again, what a hassle.

Any advices? Should I get the 6600GT or something in the X1000 series?

The X1000 series hasn't really been out long enough to make a clear suggestion on that. Wait a little longer for reviews and check the forums about cards such as the X1600XT and X1800XL, and then make your decision. You don't want to do what I did...which was buy too soon and regret your decision.

After reading a bit of benchmarks, a pattern that I realized is that on 128MB video cards it seems to suffer alot going from PCI-E to AGP, but on 256MB video cards it only take a small loss in performance going from PCI-E to AGP. On Geforce6600GT 128MB PCI-E is score of 2876, AGP is score of 1751, that is a big downgrade.

Check out this link,

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1780526,00.asp

I THINK, I have heard that your eyes can only detect up to 60 frames a sec, so if your super fast computer can process your games more than 60 frames a sec then your eyes wouldn't be able to detect anything more than 60 anyways.

IS THAT TRUE????????

Comptech said:
I just discovered that ATI came out with the X1000 series. LOL, Im late, I was thinking about getting a 6600GT, but now I have to rethink about it again, what a hassle.

Any advices? Should I get the 6600GT or something in the X1000 series?

Also consider 7800GT / GTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom