OEM vs Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenderAC

In Runtime
Can anyone explain to me the difference between OEM and Retail? I know retail one comes with everything, manual, warranty, CD, etc. What about OEM? Does it only has the component? What about warranty? Would you suggest I get the OEM or Retail one? Thanks..

OEM means it is intended for a new computer it is the same as retail but is discounted and has to be bought with anouther computer component.

The OEM are from the manufacturer resale partners. Warranties are usually a lot less, prices are cheaper. And if you do have to do an RMA you usually have to go through the reseller instead of the manufacturer. CPUs are the big one. I buy amd CPUs and the diff between a OEM and a retail is big. For ex. An AMD OEM 2500xp may cost you $85 and retail may cost $95. The OEM usually has a 30day warranty and the retail comes with fan and 3yr warranty. OEM is fine sometimes, just make sure u check their warranty process. Also sometimes you get no manufacturer tech support with OEM.

T1junkie said:
OEM Stand for "Original Equipment manufacturer"

But I thought that OEM stood of "Over Exaggerated Markup"? :p

Just kidding....

The thing that $#!+ me to no end is how some people seem to be advertising online about selling OEM Windows or OEM Office by itself. And if I was to try that, Microsoft would shut me down in a blink of an eye.

You only have to sell a "computer hardware component" with the OEM software, to satisfy the OEM rules.

I've seen sites sell OEM XP with a cheap mouse and 80 mm fan. You basically get the fan and mouse for free, as a bundled OEM package.

its dumb to buy retail unless the prices are close to the same. there isn't much risk buying OEM if you choose a good reseller like newegg.com, you can always exchange it if it isnt working right.

one example is that xp2500. OEM is $85 with only the CPU. retail is $90 with a heatsink fan and full warranty. that case it is much better to go retail. generally OEM is much cheaper. why would you pay more for an instruction book or a fancy box? if there are cables, driver CD's, or screws OEM will always include them.

OEM usualy dont update driver's.Like the guy above. No support. Sometimes if you buy the cheapest prices.Theyll send you a OEM model stead of the Retail version.

True. Look at OEM Nero that you get with your CD Burners. It rarely works with other burners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom