Getting a different MOBO/CPU COMBO...I have some compatibility Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcirclepants

In Runtime
EDITED>

OK guys screw that....i want amd 3000+ or 3200+ and a ASUS or DFI mobo....jus show me the exact cpu and then a compatible mobo (with agp slot) becuz i know nothing about amd...
Also, an amd64...would that be compatible with xp pro/xp pro x64/windows vista?? Also, what cpu socket is the best?

I have:
a midtower case
450w psu
512pc3200ram
agp 6600gt graphics card

MY BUDJET IS 200....220 MAX WITH SHIPPING (USD)

sbcirclepants said:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?in...N&cpc=SCH&srm=0

Ok, first this mobo is microatx formfactor, will it fit in a midtower?
second, is biostar a good brand?
thirdly, what is 2600 amd equel to in gigs?im used to intel cpu/s
4thly, what can i overclock this cpu to? I cant go far becuz my ram is only 512mbpc3200,right?
If i get the biostar combo, i probly could afford better ram, plz suggest--
and this cpu is compatible with windows xp pro, right..its not x64?

P.s. i want this combo becuz its cheap, and the cpu is a mobile, which means it runs cooler
Micro Atx Motherboards will most likly fit into ATX cases.

In my experience Biostar is not reliable and a bad overclocker.

There is no easy way to convert AMD speeds to what your used to Intel, but lets just compare it to a celeron for now.

That CPU is not 64Bit, but you won't have to worry about that for awhile.

I don't know how well it overclocks.

One last thing. if your interesting in overclocking ATX motherboards are the best and the good brand names for OC'ing are MSI and DFI.

Man, Ste, i see you giving bad advice to people all over the place, while you're right on some counts, you're horribly mistaken on others.

- MicroATX motherboards WILL NOT fit in Mid-tower Cases.

- You're right, BioStar is neither reliable nor an overclocker.

- Yes, there IS an easy way to convert the speeds. You see the 2600+ part of the "Athlon XP-M 2600+?" The 2600+ means that its comparable to a Pentium 4 2.6GHz processor. Its not exact, but more or less, its accurate.

- As far as overclocking goes, I don't know the clock speed of the Athlon XP-M 2600+; but I'd say that you could go atleast .4GHz with good hardware in the rest of your system.

- No, the CPU is not 64-bit. Even if it was, like the Athlon 64s are, you still wouldn't have any problems running 32-bit programs and 32-bit Windows XP. HOWEVER, at the end of 2006, Windows Vista is coming out and you won't be able to run it unless you have a 64-bit processor.

I believe thats all you wanted to know. But a word of advice; cheap combos like that one are usually crappy and horrible.

I fully second everything Flanker has put out there. Motherboard and processors are NOT combos to cheap out on.

Ryan

You won't find a Athlon 64 + Good Motherboard for under $200. It'll be like $230 without shipping.

HOWEVER, the Sempron 64 processors are the little cousins of the Athlon 64s. They are more powerful than the Athlon XPs and not that expensive.

As far as the motherboard goes, the DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250 Socket 754 Motherboard is the best motherboard for Socket 754. It also has a AGP slot for your 6600GT. Its $99.

The AMD Sempron 64 3000+ is the best processor you can get without going over your budget limit. That processor is 1.8GHz and the only thing that seperates it from the Athlon 64 3000+ is that it has 128KB L2 cache. The Athlon 64 3000+ has 512KB L2 cache. This processor is still great and its an AWESOME overclocker. I've seen people take this processor to 2.7GHz on air with stock cooling. The processor is $89.

That comes out to $188 without shipping. Shouldn't go over $220 with shipping.

The Sempron 64 is a 64-bit processor (hence the "64" in its name) so it will run any 32-bit operating system like Windows XP pro, and it will also be able to run Windows XP pro 64-bit edition, and Windows Vista when it comes out in late 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom