Computer Freezes randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITw@annbee02

Solid State Member
Hey guys this is my first post on this forum, i'll try to make it a good one.

The computer is generic, with an unknown motherboard and a AMD Duron 1800 processor running at 1400 mhz(the bios will not let me keep it at 1800). I have 256 mb of ram, but 8 is used for the onboard videocard.The hard drive is 40 gb. I am running windows XP.

I have been having this problem with my computer. My mom bought it in 2002 when i graduated. It was working perfectly fine untill 6 months ago. It went from random blue screens while surfing the web to just freezing. I have noticed that it freezes when im online more than off(cable internet). It also freezes when im on AIM too. Im not sure if it has anything to do with internet at all.One day i was messing around inside the case and broke the cpu fan. I went to buy another one and cracked the processor in the process of putting teh cpu fan on, so i replaced the cpu with a duron 1800.About a month or so later, I noticed that the power supply got very very hot and at one point it would freeze 5 minutes after being turned on. I replaced the power supply and it fixed the problem for about a week and it startted freezing again so i added a case fan, nothing. Its getting very very annoying...does anybody know what else i should take a look at?

Wow, no wonder nobody replied yet.
I haven't had an issue that bad, but the fact that you don't really know what brand of motherboard makes me suspicious. You could try replacing it, it's probably not that expensive (get an ASUS) but it could also be the RAM. I think it's your mobo, though. Make sure you have the right drivers for everything.
Is the ethernet connecter for the internet on the motherboard or on a separate PCI card?

The ethernet connector is on the actual motherboard right by the usb ports, but my cable modem can be connected with either a usb or ethernet and im using usb. The reason i say its an unknown motherboard is because i tried to run a program that would tell me what hardware i have, and the motherboard didnt come up. I had the manual at one time, but i lost it and i do remember it being some unknown company. I was thinking that it could be the video card, because when it freezes some of the lines of text blurr up and you cant ctrl alt del or anything. The only way is to press the restart button or turn it completely off and back on, which loses some information and some of my web pages dissapeer from the address bar...

Download a program called "Everest: Home Edition." Its going to tell you the name of your motherboard, and will maybe be able to tell you the temperatures of the Processor/Motherboard/Power Supply. Take a picture of what you see on there, especially what kind of hardware you have, and post it here.

Alright, that program is pretty cool and it actually listed the motherboard company and model number...heres a pic:

specs.jpg

Alright, so it is the motherboard thats causing the problem or what? Would downloading the latest bios help? :confused:

find out what chipset the board is running off of, update the drivers for that to latest, If that doesn't work Check your memory.. Most of my experiences with random crashes were either memory.. or a hard drive going on the blink.

also try disabling ALL non-essential startup stuff in MSCONFIG , Antivirus, firewall anything else,and just play musicor game (unplug the comp from the net while doing this)

I knwo this seems strange.. but generally it's good to test all possibilities before jumping out and spending a ton on new parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom