Installing CPU???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsc34

Beta member
I installed my new AMD Athlon 64 3700 in my mobo today. First time I've ever built a computer so the process was new to me. I matched the arrow on the corner of the CPU with the one on the socket and the CPU went right in no problems. When I tried to lower the lever back down to lock it in it didnt move as easy as I thought it might but it didnt realy take alot of pressure to close it either. Also, it made an unusual noise as if the pins where sliding across something underneath. Once I got the lever down it locked in to place. So my question is is it normal to have to use a little bit of pressure to close it or did I just waste $270.00??

yeah, i used a little bit os pressure, and it made a "squeaking" noise as i pushed it down.

Yea, its normal. As long as you're sure the CPU was nice and snug in the socket, it should be fine. Put on the HeatSink, connet it, turn it on, and see.

Here's what im putting together:

AMD Athlon 64 3700
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe mobo
GeForce 7800gt vid card
1gb of Corsair XMS ram(soon to be 2gb)
Western Digital 74gb 10k rpm Hard Drive
550 watt PSU SLI ready
Dell 24" LCD monitor

This system is going to be just for gaming only. Mostly BF2 since im addicted to it...lol I'm not realy into alot of different games so thats why I went with a hard drive with only 74gb. I wanted the 10k rpm for its faster load speed. 2GB of RAM should realy fly but may be overkill also, depends on who you ask.

Your post is unclear -- did you have trouble inserting the CPU into the socket or did you have trouble locking the bar into place? If you had trouble placing the CPU in the socket, then I think you may have just wasted $270. ZIF socket stands for "Zero Insertion Force". If you had to apply pressure to close the bar, then that is perfectly normal and you have nothing to worry about.

No the CPU went right in to place perfectly its just Ive never installed one before and I wasnt sure exactly how much pressure is needed to get the lever arm to go all the way down. Once it went down it locked into place like it should. I got everything working now. Cant wait to try out some BF2 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom