Can WinMe and Win XP do Remote Desktop sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikenk

Baseband Member
Hi all,

Today I used Remote Assistance for the first time. I love the concept! Anyway, I got it working on my own home network between two computers on Win XP Pro.

My question is: Can a Windows ME user take advantage of built-in remote desktop sharing?

My dad has an old P-II/333Mhz machine. He runs Windows ME and is somewhat computer illiterate. He always calls me with stupid stuff and minor issues and doesn't understand how to execute my instructions. He lives about 3 miles from me and often asks me to come and solve his problems, and I usually oblige. I'd LOVE to just remote-control his computer and solve things that way whenever possible! Please tell me it can work!

Viken

if you can't get that to work, I use TightVNC for remote access to my desktop from work or from another computer on my network and it works pretty good.

There are others that are like it, but tightvnc is just a basic remote desktop program that is simple to setup and use.

it can be found here: http://www.tightvnc.com/

Thanks for the tips. It looks like I may have to go with TightVNC on my dad's computer.

thats incorrect info. run the winXP CD on the winME computer. select perform other tasks> setup remote desktop and you are set to go. no need for additional software. i have used a macintosh to remote desktop into a winXP machine.

Wow! OK....After reading your comment I checked out Windows Help (usually useless) and read up on it more.

I retrospect, I did NOT get remote desktop to work, I got Remote *Asssistance* to work. I e-mailed myself and allowed remote assistance on the computer. Since then, I've been trying to get Remote desktop to work on my own network but I can't seem to get it to see any other computers. I have the default network name of MSHOME, and each computer has it's own name. When I try to setp users, the computer sees only itsself and no other computer on the network. I'm tinkering around with this to try and get it to work. Any pointers would be nice. Thanks for the tips!

Viken

here is a walkthrough:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

a very important info left out is the address used to connect to your host machine that will be controlled. there are 2 ways and 3 methods: controlling the host inside your network & outside your network.

to remotely control your host from inside your network, requiring no internet connection:

type in your exact computer name of the host machine which will be controlled. goto the host and press windows key + pause/ break key. goto the computer name tab.

what you need to know is the full computer name. type that into the remote desktop box on the client.

to remotely control your host from anywhere in the world with an internet connection:

on the host machine goto whatismyip.com to find out your external IP. on the client which will do the controlling enter this as the name of computer. example: 152.482.47.53.

this part is tricky, since your IP will usually change constantly (dynamic IP) you need to use a DNS service like dyndns.org which is a free service. on the host you need to run a IP updater program like Dynamic_DNS_5. info is also found on dyndns.org.

whenever your IP changes the updater will update it on your dyndns.org account. so you would type in something like serra.dyndns.org in the remote desktop dialog box instead of a quad number like 152.482.47.53.

if using a router or firewall which is almost always the case with broadband, you must open incoming and outgoing port 3389 on the router or firewall. this includes all software and hardware firewalls on the network where the host machine is on.

to use remote desktop web connection (slightly different from remote desktop):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/02January14.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom