PC is slowing down and actin likes it a 50 year old man.....!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
I'm having a ptoblem with my gateway essential PC and I just can't seem to narrow down the problem.
My gateway 433Mhz celeron runs at a very good speed for its age which is 5 years old and it is fully upgraded to where can't take anymore hardware uprade and its barely meeting tghe requirements for Windows server 2003, Windows vista (requires 466mhz and min of 256 SD-RAM or better ) and Linux suse 9.3
During the past 3 weeks it has been acting a little sluggish ever since my cocker spaniel destroyed the XP home disc ( I killed him in the process when I found the disc with teeth marks) and got XP SP2 pro and upgraded my machine again.

when XP pro comes up and loads it will only load the programs and services I told it to start with and cut all the other stuff so the machine would not go berserk and slowdown to a crawl of a ant and stop, my main problem is playing midi's (when playing its choppy and skips a beat everytime the hard drive light blinked it would skip or jolt the midi), (recording one 30 minute TV program off my TV-Tuner card skips frames and shows scan lines when under very little pressure) and also it takes the damn system 15 seconds to load program when initiated......! my system was find 3 weeks ago and I wasn't having these issues until now I think my machine has slowed down by at least 10 percent and I would like to get it back to playing midi while doing home in regular less resource hogging programs.

Gateway essential PC
433mhz celeron not celery....
256MB 40 gigs western digital new from a friend about a month ago.
Windows XP SP2 pro
NSW 2005 and zonelarm 6.6
selctive start up hard ly any programs run in the background unless I tell it to start up DK 9.0 pro a total of 18 programs and have 33.8 gigs left installed on machine xp only recognized it as 38.9 gig HD

thanks for any help you can provide me, I am also using system optimizer

~MadMikeXP~

I think I found your problem and if not I found anyother big problem you have

NSW 2005 and zonelarm 6.6

running on startup I'm willing to bet these are both great programs but they require lots of power and I'm not trying to offend you but your PC doesn't have the power to run lots of demanding aps in the background.

Could you give me a link to hijack this and I'll do it later on when I have time late this afternoon ?

I'm getting ready to leave the house in about 10 minutes.

First-
MSCONFIG (when used with the RUN command) opens up the System Configuration Utility. Most of the stuff in there you don't want to mess with unless you know what you are doing or have detailed instructions.

Click the STARTUP tab. The list that it pulls up is everything that you can choose to start up when Windows does.

Why is all of this stuff in the list? Because every program designer thinks his 'creation' is so indispensible that no one could possibly want it to NOT start up with their computer (yeah, right), so they set it into the list and have it to do just that.

Once you're at the list, look it over and see what all has a check mark. Every program that does starts up when Windows loads... EVERYTIME!

If something is checked, but you don't know what it is, Google it and find out.

Once you have seen what is there, uncheck everything that you don't need or want. Keep your firewall, antivirus, broadband drivers, graphics drivers, whatever you absolutely have to have, but uncheck everythign else.

Once you are done, click APPLY, OK, then reboot.

When your computer starts up, you'll get a grey box about the System Configuration Utility. Check the box about 'Don't run on startup' then OK.

If you had a lot of stuff checked, then your comp ought to start up faster and run more stable.

Second-
Download and run AdAware, Spybot, and possibly Microsoft AntiSpyware.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
(All are free. Be sure to have each one update itself before you scan.)

Third-
Uninstall any unused or unneeded programs you have on your hard drive.

Fourth-
Download and run TweakNow to clean up your computer's registry.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/TweakNow_RegCleaner_d4134.html

Fifth-
Run Disk Defragmenter START- ALL PROGRAMS- ACCESSORIES- SYSTEM TOOLS- DISK DEFRAGMENTER).

Reboot your computer and see if it cranks up a bit faster, plus it ought to have a lot more zip to it as well.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:29:04 PM, on 10/16/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5112.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\MA111 Configuration Utility\wlancfg4.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\MADMIK~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX01.119\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Startup Manager] C:\Documents and Settings\MadMikeXP\Application Data\Systweak\ASO 2\smstartUp manager.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Norton SystemWorks] "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\cfgwiz.exe" /GUID {05858CFD-5CC4-4ceb-AAAF-CF00BF39736A} /MODE CfgWiz
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [TABS] Tabbed Browsing
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1129431360543
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Ok this what Hijack this found, and I thoight that zonealrm 6.6 and Norton system works 2005 might cause a problem..... should I use internet security 2005 that I got NSW 2005 and remove zonealrm 6.6 or get mcaffe and keep zonalarm 6.6 ? I really like the custom combo software I'm using but something has to go so that my machine can go back to its normal state and quit acting like a dinosaur 1994 PC !

also is there anything else I should be aware of in the log that might cause a problem ?

Trotter don't post that useless stuff in my topic I already do all that stuff that you quoted from somebody else, plus I've been working with PC's over 8 years so I know what I'm doing......

I did not go over it in depth partly because I'm too lazy but you have way too much for your PC's specs.

MadMikeXP said:
Trotter don't post that useless stuff in my topic I already do all that stuff that you quoted from somebody else,

Wow..

that advice has help many people here with similar problems.

MadMikeXP said:
plus I've been working with PC's over 8 years so I know what I'm doing......

you should know that you overloaded that old computer.

you need windows 98, me, 2000 or 512ram or a new computer to run all of those programs on that 433 celeron.

Ok correct me if I'm wrong but before I upggraded my PC from a 10.5 gig to a 40.3 HD and upraded to XP my PC had the exact same specs except there was NAV 2005 and zone alarm 5.9..... now my real question is could NSW 2005 and zone alarm be dragging down my system to computer hell unless I down grade NSW to NAV and NIS 2005 and leave out ZA 6.6 and the NSW 2005 suite ?

and yes I know my pc is very old and obsolete and in about 2 weeks I will replace it with 2005 gateway DX200 and modify it to my needs.... but for now I have to bare with this machine for just a little bit longer until then.

Oh and sorry eric and trotter for the previous comment but trotters post, quote, and yay its all better now reply really pissed me off.......!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom