Not open for further replies.

Rmaia

In Runtime
Well it's about 3 yrs old and sporting:
2.4ghz p4
ati 9600 xt (agp 4x)
two 256 rdram(16bit) sticks running at 400 mhz
-plus all that jazz

anyway, he's starting to have trouble running games nowadays and wants to upgrade the ram and possibly the video card. I opened it up and the mb looks like it's glued together, ****ing dell. Anyways, I was looking at rdram on newegg, and the shit isn't cheap. I was expecting like clearance prices, but I'm not familiar with technology more than a half a year old since thats when I got into this whole thing.

anyways, what the hell will he need to get for memory, and I'm thinking of getting him a 6800 or something for vid card.

critique?

I figure it could squeeze another year out if it got at least a ram update, but maybe you are right. I'm traveling a lonely road trying to look for upgrades.

You could build a Sempron 64 system that would kill his current Dell for like $570 with 1GB RAM and a 120GB HDD, and 6600GT. That includes the case and PSU and shipping and stuff, I know cuz I designed my friend one.

The ram is worth more than the PC

EDIT: I doubt the ram is only running at 400 mhz, should be doing AT LEAST 800. Unlike DDR the speed they say for RD is the real speed.

live with it, its a piece of junk. cant game with it. just save up and buy a new "custom"( i didnt say dell) pc

Odds are that he needs to pull some hardware maintanence on his hard drive.

Here's the quote:
First-
MSCONFIG (when used with the RUN command) opens up the System Configuration Utility. Most of the stuff in there you don't want to mess with unless you know what you are doing or have detailed instructions.

Click the STARTUP tab. The list that it pulls up is everything that you can choose to start up when Windows does.

Why is all of this stuff in the list? Because every program designer thinks his 'creation' is so indispensible that no one could possibly want it to NOT start up with their computer (yeah, right), so they set it into the list and have it to do just that.

Once you're at the list, look it over and see what all has a check mark. Every program that does starts up when Windows loads... EVERYTIME!

If something is checked, but you don't know what it is, Google it and find out.

Once you have seen what is there, uncheck everything that you don't need or want. Keep your firewall, antivirus, broadband drivers, graphics drivers, whatever you absolutely have to have, but uncheck everythign else.

Once you are done, click APPLY, OK, then reboot.

When your computer starts up, you'll get a grey box about the System Configuration Utility. Check the box about 'Don't run on startup' then OK.

If you had a lot of stuff checked, then your comp ought to start up faster and run more stable.

Second-
Download and run AdAware, Spybot, and possibly Microsoft AntiSpyware.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
(All are free. Be sure to have each one update itself before you scan.)

Third-
Uninstall any unused or unneeded programs you have on your hard drive.

Fourth-
Download and run TweakNow to clean up your computer's registry.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/TweakNow_RegCleaner_d4134.html

Fifth-
Run Disk Defragmenter START- ALL PROGRAMS- ACCESSORIES- SYSTEM TOOLS- DISK DEFRAGMENTER).

Reboot your computer and see if it cranks up a bit faster, plus it ought to have a lot more zip to it as well.
Go through the steps and see if that helps any.

Thanks for the info. That might indeed be a problem b/c I noticed when I was looking at it last night that he had ALOT of random programs start at boot. His task bar exploded.

I looked in the bios at the ram and it indeed says 400mhz, but then again, it is the messed up dell bios that has restictions and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom