e-GeForce 4 Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

discharger12

Solid State Member
Hey, all. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but I apologize if it is. Wasn't sure if it goes here, or on the Hardware Troubleshooting board.

I attempted in putting a GeForce4 MX-420 in my Compaq Presario. At first, the monitor didn't work, but I later looked back at the card and saw a monitor plug, so I'm planning on trying that.

First, though, I need outside opinions before I can put it in. (It's not my computer completely)

1. Do I need to supply more info for the following questions?

2. Will the card enhance my graphic capabilities? (For example, I'm hoping that the card will let me finally play Sid Meier's Pirates!)

3. Will the card even work right?

4. Hope the pictures helps. :)

Thanks in advance!

Hm, there seems to be no Edit button on this forum!

I need to add that

a) The pictures didn't go through and I don't think they're necessary atm.

b) Do I need to download drivers from somewhere before I put the card in, or can I just use the hardware wizard? I don't have any documentation other then what's on the actual card, and I don't have any CDs for it

Will the card enhance my graphic capabilities?
If it doesn't, it's broken.
Will the card even work right?
With the right drivers and a power supply that can handle it, yes. And the PSU in the comp ought to handle it.
Do I need to download drivers from somewhere before I put the card in, or can I just use the hardware wizard?
Download drivers for it, but don't install them until you are ready for them.

You'll have to disable your onboard graphics. Istall the graphics card, power the comp up, go into BIOS, and reduce the memory it can access to 0 (zero). Let Windows install the card, then install the drivers.

A few more questions:

a) Is the card even worth putting in? I've heard that it's not a very good card, but

b) does it replace the old video card (which I believe is integrated into the computer) or does it just add to it?

And

C) Why do I need to reduce it's memory access to 0?

Is the card even worth putting in? I've heard that it's not a very good card
It's in the same neighborhood as mine. I got no complaints...
does it replace the old video card (which I believe is integrated into the computer) or does it just add to it?
It replaces it. I have read that you can run both together, but that's a whole 'nother bucket of fish.
Why do I need to reduce it's memory access to 0?
I forgot that you have to tell the computer, when you are in the BIOS right after installing the card, that you want to use the card. You reduce the memory used by the intergrated graphics to zero so as not to have conflicts, as well as to keep it from eating up RAM.

I'm sure if I've forgotten anything that others will correct me post haste.

Hm, strange. The computer didn't even detect any changes!

I'm having trouble finding the drivers on the internet (nvidia.com didn't have it)

And I can't find figure out how to change tell it that I want to use it. I'm not a BIOS person, because I'm seriously afraid that I'll screw my comp indefinently.

You'll have to take it slow with me. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom