i need help formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigy

In Runtime
OK, a friends getting a brand new computer, so they gave me their old, dimension L566cx....it has over 300 mb ram so it can support windows XP along with a 20g Hard drive.

im not on that comp now
It had Windows ME on it, but i managed to install XP over that. however it wouldnt let me create another partion or delete the partion with windows ME on it, so i had to install it in the same partion.

Now though, I REALLY want to format the C: drive, but i cant.

Fdisk in Run doesnt work.

Format C:\ brings up the proper waring, that you will lose all data, but when i say YES it doesnt work because something some process or something is using it, and when i say YES get rid of that problem, the msdos window quits and nothing happens.

BEfore getting rid of win ME i could boot from the Win XP install disc, but now i cant; there is no option at startup.

i can mash f2 while the Dell logo is up but that doesnt give me options; just data i dont need about the computer's hardware.

Im doing all i can to format the hard drive, but i just cant.

so can anyone help me.

also, on another note, origionally the computer had viruses on it, so i tried putting hte install files for avast/avg/anti-adware on a cd-r/w and putting them on the other comp from the good, internet accessable one im on now.

it didnt work; because the comp didnt recognize the disc was in; although a cd r with photos worked well.

well thanks a lot.

Your going about it the wrong way

Go to www.bootdisk.com and downlaod windows 98 oem and then put in a formatted floppy and execute the bootdisk
then reboot your pc, make sure its set in the bios to boot from it.

Here is where you fdisk and format.

wait, do you know that the computer im on now is completely unconnected to the computer im trying to format??

i would need a way to get teh bootdisc file or whatever onto the computer in question, and i dunno how i will od htat.

use the one you are one now. download it, install it to the floppy, go to the other pc, turn it on, insert the floppy and it should boot automatically...most system do this

oh it fits on a floppy.

if this works...that would be very very great.

thanks a ton

Go to www.bootdisk.com download a Win98SE boot disk I don't care what computer you use that on

boot with the disc then pop use fdisk

You can't use fdisk on XP because it's not a recongnized command.

A easier way would be to also just pop in your XP cd and choose the format with NTFS option.

Why not boot with the XP CD, and delete the partition from there?

A bootdisk would be the best option since you can delete the partitions manually and do an fdssk/mbr to make sure you really cleared everything...

reboot and hit F8, this will bring you to the BIOS on most systems or delete. It should be in the advanced section, if not just look around, you will find it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom