Protecting Windows XP from users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwalkerxt

Baseband Member
I have a client that has a cyber cafe ( a place where you can rent a computer with an internet connection ), one main problem is that users are very destructive and they install/download stuff that's damaging the performance of the computers...

Can you recomend a program that allows me to protect the computer's permisions to install software, to change settings, passwords....

Another problem's the users usually open too many IE windows and other programs at the same time that consume system resouces until the machine just hangs... is there any way to control this?

Another thing is that the users once they are done, they leave programs/pages/etc open, and when the next user comes, instead of closing everything first, they just keep on opening new things until the machine just can't handle any more programs open at the same time and hangs up... this people is highly destructive and iliterate...

Please recommend me a program that can help me control this... I've been searching to no avail... maily because I'm not quite sure about which category to look in...

Can I control this using Windows User Accounts??

Thanks in advance...

There are a few things you can do. 1 use a different browser like Opera or Firefox that has tabbed browsing. 2. Have all the computers use limited accounts where they cant download anything or install anything to prevent any damagew to the machines. That is the 2 easiest things i can think of. Other mind have some better ideas.

At the library here, they have software that uses a time limit. After that time, it closes everything and logs you off for the next person.

Makaveli213 said:
There are a few things you can do. 1 use a different browser like Opera or Firefox that has tabbed browsing. 2. Have all the computers use limited accounts where they cant download anything or install anything to prevent any damagew to the machines. That is the 2 easiest things i can think of. Other mind have some better ideas.

About the browsers... that's what I do, I use FF or Opera, but as I mentioned the users of this cyber cafe don't... and as a matter of fact I can't force them to use a particular browser whatsoever...

Another thing I remembered... is there any way to protect the programs that load with windows at start up... like a tray icon protector or something...

This is the scenario: I want to set up the computers in a way (programs, settings, tray icons..etc) and I want it to stay in that way no matter who uses the computer...

Use GPO. You can take away everything from them, icons, items, properties, permissions and more and more and more...

mrdinkel said:
I would say look into drive-locking software... such as CleanSlate.
CleanSlate?? I can't find it...

I'm checking GPO...

Thanks for the replies guys... I really apreciate it...

Edit: I can't find GPO either... I googled for both of them and searched them on download.com with no luck... are these programs available for download on a particualr page or library??

there is a program my school uses called deep freaze on restart everthing reverts back to the way the school set it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom