new 120mm case fan, and cant figure out how to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadrobot

Baseband Member
I just went to this big computer store called fry's and bought this Pactech-inc 120mm case fan. To connect it all there is is 2 small gray wires. Nothing else no plugs or a red and black wire. I have no idea how to attach this thing into my computer and am in great need of it (computer is overheating to ~120F) any help or links would be great

no power connectors??? wtf... you bought a cheap azz fan bud.. how much did you pay for it because newegg has 120mm blue LED fans for 8 bucks :D

the fan that came with my computer only had two cables and this fan isnt some cheap one. its solid metal not some of that cheap black plastic (the blades are plastic but the housing isnt). this is not a normal one either. it is an extra 9mm thick (120x120x034) and spins at 700+ rpm then the ones on newegg

PZEROFGH said:
a house fan lol?
actually when my old fan first died on me i used a small fan plugged into the wall XD but it was big noise and just wastnt the same.

sadrobot said:
I just went to this big computer store called fry's and bought this Pactech-inc 120mm case fan. To connect it all there is is 2 small gray wires. Nothing else no plugs or a red and black wire. I have no idea how to attach this thing into my computer and am in great need of it (computer is overheating to ~120F) any help or links would be great
Sound like you got some cheap Yum-Char 120m there.

You should have a 3 pin connection or a molex connections at the end of the fan cable.
3 pin connection would connection onto your motherboard.
Molex Connection on to your motherboard.

nah, some of the cheap fans don't come with a power connector...but it's really easy to simply splice the wires and connect a spare 3 pin or molex together.

You need to figure out which is the +12v wire and which is the ground wire on your fan

on a 3pin connector Red = the +12v line and black = ground so just splice it accordingly.

On a 4pin molex connector the yellow = +12v and black = ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom