Ultimate gamimg PC... spec suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, how many Mhz/Ghz of speed will I be losing downgrading to 3800? Also, what's the real difference between 10k RPM and 7.3k RPM? Access speed?

And will my GFX cards be able to pwn anything on the market for a long time?

don't get the leadtech version of the 6800GT, get the eVGA version. and sprooty, sure a 7200RPM with NCQ would be good but he wants a fast HDD for his OS. your GFX cards wont last 3 years :D. the next 8xxx series of nvidia cards comming out next year is going to be insane . something like 48 pipelines.... btw are those UTs or GTs?

bigtrain. said:
ATX Midi Tower Case Black
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 --- $290
2GB (4 x 512MB) DDR2 RAM --- $280
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ CPU --- $755
Sony 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive Black --- $16.30
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 37GB 10,000RPM --- $199
Hitachi Deskstar 200GB 7200RPM SATA --- $200
Lite on CD/DVD Burner --- $80
2x Leadtek GE PX6800 256MB SLI --- $1240
Creative Audigy 2 ZS --- $174.55
Logitech Cordless Desktop KB+M LX300 --- $94.90
4ms 19” LCD Monitor --- $720
COOLER MASTER CM Stacker STC-T01-UW --- $230
Enermax 600Watt SLI PSU --- $200
Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM
Warranty: 1 year back to base

Total : $4479.75 (incl. GST)
Drop the 10K drive and the hitachi and get 2x Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200rpm.

Drop the 6800's and get one eVGA 7800GTX (the pre-overclocked one).

if it was my system....

- i'd change the CPU to a San Diego 4000+

- wouldn't bother with a 10k drive, they're way overpriced for the extra performance they give. -- with HD space, just get what you are sure you will need, don't bother buying a 200Gb HD if you're not going to use it all. have you considered getting SATA2? its barely more expensive, and its got 2x the bandwidth.

- go 8ms 19" instead of 4ms, i doubt anyone can tell the difference and you'll be saving money that way.

what speakers are you going to get or do you have atm? because onboard sound for nVidia chipsets has and is and always will be awesome, so unless you've got really nice speakers, you won't hear the difference anyway.

- no need for a 600W PSU really, at least not one that costs $200. I'd recommend an Antec Truepower 2.0 550W

- Like the other's said, DDR2 won't even fit into an AMD motherboard at the moment, so don't bother looking into it. make sure the ram you buy has good latencies, AMD's really like tight latencies.

- i'd want to get a Single 7800GTX now, and then later when you want to upgrade something, just grab another one, and you'll get a nice performance increase without having to change both at the same time.

thats all i'd change i think, it looks like an awesome system :D

OK I've told my mate and he's going to re-do the quote (prolly a couple of times to compare all teh suggestions) and I'll post back here... thanks for the support

OK sorry for reviving the topic but my mate has been lazy and has only just strted the new quote, lol.

However, it is a bit expensive and I am thinking of dropping the dual GFX card setup and buying only one card... then just buying another when I have the money so I can use the duals.

Any suggestions for a good GFX card atm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom