This seems to happen to a lot of people....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearcat14

Solid State Member
I've been having a problem lately where my computer powers on, everything comes on (fans, lights, LEDs, etc.), but there is no video display and no POST, to include no "beep" to indicate that the BIOS is loading.

I have searched the forums for a long time and seen this problem over and over with other people.....but there is never any solution (so far as I've seen). I simply searched under "beep" and "boot" and saw lots of people experiencing it. None of the posts results in a solution.

My MOBO manual says that one beep indicates that the BIOS is loading, but says nothing else (its an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe). So, I'm assuming that since I hear no beep, cannot even enter the BIOS or see a MOBO splash screen, the BIOS isn't loading. The consensus on other posts is that 1) it's the PSU, or 2) it's the GPU, but I have to think it's the MOBO. Seems strange that everything would power up, yet the PSU isn't putting out enough power to boot the BIOS??? BTW, changed out video cards and tried a brand new one with my system and no change....also reseated and reconnected everything and reset CMOS with no change. Also tried booting without the RAM installed and still...no beep, no nothing, but everything powers on. This computer has been working fine for almost a year now so things WERE fine until about 2 days ago.

Can I get a set of opinions on this? MOBO or PSU? or something I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance!

SHAWN said:
RMA your motherboard. This is why I dont recommend ASUS products, but people here swear by them.

I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about ASUS boards....I got the K8N-E b/c it got good reviews everywhere I looked. What would you recommend for a socket 754 Athlon?

nitestick said:
well it is easiest for you to just eliminate the PSU as a possibility by testing another one known to be good.

Going to try to check it with a multimeter. I have no other possibilites for trying another one....I live in Colombia and it's hard to get spare parts here.

I have the same mobo and love it... I think its your PSU... and like nitestick said its easier to test than a mobo... what psu are you currently running ? do you have a tester ?

i have an abit aa8 duramax and i am having the same problems. i ordered a new p4 630 and still nothing. thermaltake 480W PSU that powers the rest of the pc so i am 99% sure it isnt that. my last thought is that the mobo has just .... died i guess.

bradybnmci said:
I have the same mobo and love it... I think its your PSU... and like nitestick said its easier to test than a mobo... what psu are you currently running ? do you have a tester ?

UPDATE.....I checked the PSU with a multimeter. The PSU is an Antec TB 480W. Here are the results:

12V rail = 11.9V
5V rail = 5.07V
3.3V rail = 3.32V

Admittedly, I can't test the PSU while windows boots, at load, etc., because it still won't even boot to the BIOS. But, from the above results I have to conclude that the PSU is fine. All results are within tolerances. The only one that is a little on the low side (yet still within tolerance) is the 12V rail.

So, I am now definitely thinking that the MOBO is bad.

Any other opinions would be welcome, in case I'm way off on this one.

Thanks.

try to clear your CMOS clock.. and make sure your cmos jumper is set right (this can Possibly cause the problems listed above)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom