Refridgerated Water Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphic H

Baseband Member
We all know that building a computer inside a refridgerator is impossible due to natural condensation. But what I am now proposing is to actually refridgerate the radiator of your water cooling system with a "mini-fridge" to acheive lower than room tempiture coolant temps. Let me know what you think and reply if youre interested in trying it.

like putting the zalman resarator in there. to chill the water, like the pilter cooler or somethign like that

I think you are talking about a chiller, which is different than just using a radiator on a water cooled system.

You might want to sniff around the Overclocking forum about this one. Several there would know better how to advise you.

chillers generally are taking the parts out of refridgerators or AC units...it's pretty close to phase change really and you'd need condensation protection around the CPU and hoses still.

How are you planning to lead tubing out of a refridgerator anyway....leaving the door open will pretty much negate any chilling effects, and as I'm sure you know it wouldn't be a practical application at all.

to acheive lower than room tempiture coolant temps.
lower than room temperature = condensation

no, building a comp inside a computer is not impossible... all you have to do is cut a hole in the fridge somewere large enough to fit any wires threw, then totally insulate the hole.... this will keep all condensation out, but you wont beable to modify the wires or open the fridge door at all.

using a chiller would have the same affect of condenstion as an open fridge like nub said.
-------------------------------------

Unless your o/c'ing to the limit it seems pritty pointless anyway... what might be a better consideration is to.... just use longer tubing, rap the tube around in circles till it makes a coil the size of one of your fans, and then just stick a fan in the middle... this wont do as nearly as much as the radiator, but the longer tube will hold more watter to absorbe more heat, and partly wraped likea coil will disapate some heat befor it hits the radiator, witch could only make it cooler.

no, building a comp inside a computer is not impossible...
building a comp inside a computer eh?

longer tubing would = worse temps actually. I see what you're saying and all, but all it'd do is hurt his performance...you'd definitely need a very strong pump if you wanted to even contemplate doing that, but unless you had some way of keeping that coil REALLY cool then you'll just be hurting yourself with the excess tubing.

and yeah I already thought about cutting holes through the fridge and all but man...what a waste of a fridge :p

I've got a little mini-fridge in my room...the thing is great, I'd never cut holes through it lol

You could also try using some peltiers and possibly not even have to worry about condensation protection...although peltiers suck up a lot of worthless power and IMO are a pretty big hassle

jolancer said:
no, building a comp inside a computer is not impossible

I think that building a computer inside a computer would be very hard.
rofl

Hey Nubius, congrats on 10,000 posts. Now you just need a 10000 RPM Hard Drive to go with it.

Nubius said:
building a comp inside a computer eh?
lol... typo. i was thinking fridge as you could see by the paragraph.

Nubius said:
longer tubing would = worse temps actually. I see what you're saying and all, but all it'd do is hurt his performance...you'd definitely need a very strong pump if you wanted to even contemplate doing that, but unless you had some way of keeping that coil REALLY cool then you'll just be hurting yourself with the excess tubing.

and yeah I already thought about cutting holes through the fridge and all but man...what a waste of a fridge :p

I've got a little mini-fridge in my room...the thing is great, I'd never cut holes through it lol
if the pump is that weak that it is affected by more tubing, yea then screw it. your better off as is.

EDIT: unless it was setup like this.... you have a reservoir on top of the comp like the size of a shoe box or small aquarium or what not... and you have the pump on the bottom of the comp pumping the water back up to the top of the reservoir, not the bottom of the reservoir..... that way the amount of water in the reservoir + gravity would probably compensate for the weak ass pump..... then again, having a reservoir that big would disapate more heat then any extra tubing..... so again your left with a lot of time waisted, lol.

well the most common type of pump to get is the D5 or equivelant which is around $75...it's what I got, and I wouldn't do the extended tubing....now if you had an Iwaki pump , and their best one is like $175, it might be a different story.

and as for your reservoir idea...the gravity pushing down on the water that the pump is trying to push up INTO the aquarium would negate any 'gravitational advantages' from the water going down the other side.

like gaara said, you could get a peltier...put a cheap block in your line, but instead of that block cooling anything, it'll be touching the cold side of the pelt....then you'd have to have something cooling the hotside of the pelt, (big waste of effort and time) but that would essentially cool the water going through the block and the rest of your loop....but if you want something like that, you might as well just make your own cold plate, liquid cool the hot side of the peltier and get some rather cold temps that way....swiftech also makes a block with pre-made said cold plate, pelt, and water block sandwiched together in one nice package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom