Laptop Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumpadoodle

Beta member
Ok..so my aunt gave me this old Winbook si right? Broken 10 gig harddrive, nonworking keyboard, pentum III 675 mhz coppermine series processor, 128 mb ram, you know the deal;)

So anyways, i took the broken hard drive out, reconnected the ribbon cable for the keyboard, and I've been running Damn Small Linux on live cd on the thing just fine...I don't like throwing ANY technology away...plus the thing is good just for surfin the net while video is encoding and im downloading on Azureus at the same time on the better PC...

Now then, about a week ago...the adapter starts shorting out...it doesnt work anymore. Being the stingy guy I am, I'm not giving it up without a fight...time for a hacksaw and a multimeter
:D

I open the thing up, and find that all that's wrong is the resistors and such arent working in it anymore..."is that all?" i say to myself^_^...no problem!

I take the 24 volt adapter from my scanner, hooks some wire to the outside metal on the head, and the inside positive prong thingy, then i touch these wired to the two little terminal thingies on the board of the broken adapter(it's 19 volts by the way) and it sparks! Hooray! The laptop turns on and everything, and i find that it is able to load the cd...then it just kinda shuts off...

Is 24 volts of power to much overkill for a Laptop that takes 19 volts? I figured it'd be fine to just test for a few minutes...so I hope I didnt ruin anything...can anyone tell me how much is too much when it comes to going under and over the required voltages on a laptop?

Oh and remember...I'm dead cheap and I throw NOTHING away...I'll go to great lengths to keep those standards...

yea i would think a 24 volts will damage certain parts in the labtop maybe some or the whole system will fry. Just get a 19 volt connection somehow. Most time you add to much power the cpu,hdd,ram, and mobo will just fry. So find something as you said your a cheap bass :p. So find someone or something where you live to get it fixed.

do you think it would fry after only being on for like, 30 seconds on that amount of power? Cause I'd be pretty pissed if that's what I did....lol after all the trouble I've gone to with this thing...

Yes it could happen, its a 50/50 it mit have or it mit not its all on luck now. Just take it out and find a 19 volt connection.

alright cool...if it did...is there any way to like, fix the stuff with spare parts? Cause I know nothing melted or anything....it was only around 5 volts over. I think the main reason it shut off like that was because there's a large different in the amps of the two adapter, plus when i measured the current going through the two wires...it was pretty dang unstable o_O;

I mean I'm the type of person who uses paper clips and other such office supplies to complete circuits...just the other day, i burned my finger when i connected 5 6 volt batteries together with paperclips and they started sparking and stuff..lol

Lmao nice, well it may if i waws you to check if something fried look all around nice and closely for brown or black marks. If there are then you fired something if no then you may be lucky. If it does fry well yea you can use other spare parts jsut has to be from the same kind of computer or like wires maybe. You can use them to reconnect the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom