Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Okay, as some of you know, I'm plannning to upgrade to 2GB RAM. Questions:
1. Which is the better value? (I don't plan to OC the RAM)-
Corsair XMS
Corsair Value

2. What's the difference between "unbuffered" and "registered" RAM? Which should I get?

3. Should I get DDR433 or stick with DDR400? Will I see a performance boost with the 433? Will it be compatible with my P4 AND eventually when I get an AMD X2?

-Thanks for any help!

1.) Um...I'd say the one with the "Value" in its name is the better Value RAM...

3.) Unless you're overclocking, you won't see a difference between DDR400 and DDR433, and even if you ARE overclocking, DDR433 won't be much of an improvement. You'd have to overclock the RAM to see a MINISCULE performance increase from the DDR433, it probably wouldn't even be noticeable. I don't know if some Pentium 4 systems are backwards compatible with DDR1 RAM, but the X2 will accept the RAM.

psht, why are you skipping question 2 flanker!?

Registered RAM is for servers, you want unbuffered....registered RAM generally has ECC which is error correction, so it like 'fixes' itself in a sense, which makes it slower.

But yeah, like I said, registered = server platforms.

Lol, I skipped it cuz I didn't know what it was :eek: .

I knew what ECC and non-ECC was, but not Registered/Unbuffered.

registered generally is ECC....don't know if I've come across registered that wasn't, but I can't say I really looked at registered RAM since it doesn't concern me

that would be called 'unbuffered' RAM which is what we all have unless you're running a server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom