URGENT! Sound/Motherboard HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho16

Solid State Member
i recently helped my friend sort his computer out he had two computers old and new and wanted to make one better, the new case alread had motherboard hardriv(60gig) etc in it... so he put his old hadrive(40gig) on same ide as the new cases hardrive(60) and it seemed to **** both hd's up (although jumpers were set to master and one to slave and positioned right on ide) so i tryed one at a time... the 40gig sed windows xp wernt activated so wouldnt log us on, and the 60gig wen attached to motherboard on its own made the monitor turn off and on.... so we used the old motherboard(old) and took the one in the new case out..we reformated and installed windows xp on the 40gig hd and it worked.. but the video drivers (which ar on board) didnt work, so we ran system restore cd which installed them and everything worked fine... his cpu is 1.7 so i put the one off the new motherboard 2.3 into the motherboard we were now usin... wen i started the computer it wouldt start up and was constantly beeping... i left it and then it came on saying error or sumit... it loaded windows and seemed fine... i atacched the cd rw dvd and floppy restarted and it worked like new... only problem is... theres no sound... the sound is also onboard and i dunno how to fix this... his dad says we have to do it by tomorrow... wud it work if i bort a new sound card and installed it or is the motherboad fkd? PLease help i would be so much thankfull!! i am really crappin it!

make sure you have the drivers and make sure the onboard sound is enabled in device manager. also maybe check bios, maybe the advanced chipset features page.

Well if you need t done buy tommrow i suggest you install a sound card or you can just ceck the the device manager like z said and see if its installed try running a windows update 4 drivers and check the company website

but how do i find the make of the motherboard or how do i know which drivers to get i have no box or anything for the motherboard... the bios also doesnt have anythin on it stating sound or audio?!? it will deffo work if i get a soundcard wont it?

thats xactly my question, its on board sound an i dont know what drivers to get for it, cos i dunno wot its called

Most times the manufatuer - think I spelt that right - of the mobo will put its name on the board someplace. The model is on there too.

Just find it and go to the site, download the driver and away you go.

so the motherboard is deffo not f*ckd? it will deffo work if i get the drivers, or a new soundcard? his dad forgot so i think i gonna do it this week sometime. His BIOS dont have anything about disabling onboard sound onit, is there n e other way of disabeling it if i get a new sound card?

Look on the board for a manufacturer logo start with finding out what board you have .Look for Asus,MSI,VIA,Intel etc..stamped on the mobo, then hit the support site for updates
manuals etc....

If its an older board They also disable onboard stuff with pin's on the mother board.
It might be fine dont sweat it so much.Takes a while to figure out puter problems sometiems.Cause everyone is differnt .So no one cure for all of them.Plus why you think those geek's make so much cash = )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom