CD-RW Drive Not Reading Any Discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshXC

Beta member
My CD-RW Drive is not reading any discs of any format or size. I use 2 CD/DVD Drives. After using Nero Express to burn a small .rar file (which failed due to Nero not responding) I restarted Nero Express and tried to burn the file again. However when I inserted a new blank disc it said PLEASE INSERT A WRITABLE BLANK DISC or something like that. Now I have reinstalled drivers and rebooted and did registry repairs and virus scan and trojan/spyware scans. I have two drives for media CD's.

1. E: HP CD-Writer +9100 [the problem]
2. F: Hitachi GD - 2000 [not a burner but reads DVD's and all CD's]

My disc works in other computers and I've burnt on the same brand CDRW on different computers. This is a serious problem becuase I am a student and this is my main computer. Nero has to be the problem but there must be some external way to fix it outside of Nero Customer Support. I am looking for someone who knows about registry files and the possible error not a person who is going to question the lens dust or IDE cable. The cable is connected and power is on and my lens is clean.

When nero stops responding like that its usually because its waiting for your cdr to respond, but I suppose you could reinstall nero if you think it just can't be your cd drive. If you want to try a different cd burner program then try http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php Its free and it seems to work ok.

BTW its your cdr(just so I told ya)

I would definitely check that IDE cable. I had the same problem and the cable was bad (although unlikely if your system recognizes both drives). Sounds to me like you need to completely uninstall Nero, clean the registry and reinstall Nero. As stated above, I believe SUI is right on the money here!

Yea all those things didnt work the IDE is fine and and reinstalled Nero and i need to know if Nero kills reg files or sytem files.

It could be the lens on your drive is dirty. You can pick up a special cd to clean them. You also might want to try to update the firmware on your cdr drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom