Computer freeze while installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscoy2g1

Beta member
Hi guys,

I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server into an Intel Pentium 4 with 512 Ram and every time it gets past the loading of the setup process it freezes. It seems that this problem is on a timer, because depending on how long I wait to press the "enter" key to start installation and do a deletion of the partitions it freezes always on different times. For example, if I wait too long to press enter it freezes right there and there and I cannot continue. Now, my opinion is that it was a virus... and somehow the setup calls it... but that's not the case... I formatted the 40Gig HDD with my Mac using a complete format (writing all zeroes along the drive). The next theory I had was that the bios is messed up or in some way infected... but I don't think that's possible. This computer was donated to me from a friend who got a brand new one after he couldn't boot the computer, or rather, the computer froze after 3-5 mins. Coincidence???? I think not! Any suggestions? I tried everything... losing confidence in this thing... thanks in advance.

no dude check you processor if the retention is broken and check if your processor is well ventilated it happened to me sometimes or your cdrom is heating when it reads the media.

the last time i ran into this problem was when the fan on the heatsink failed, and it overheated in the format process.

I measured the temperature of the cpu and it reads 48deg Celcius. Overheating doesn't seem to be the problem. There is no dust in the motherboard either. As I said, it seems to be a timed thing. I've used this CD on various systems. I also tried using the XP cd that I have, and that same thing happens. Today it got as far as making the second partition, but after that, once again it failed. Thanks for the replies guys! It's really appreciated!

It's not only on the partitioning part. It's timed... I actually rushed throught the inputs for "Yes I want to 'ENTER' setup", "Press 'F8' to agree to licensing", "press enter to install" and it actually worked. I practiced so many times that i got quite good at rushing through these things. I also noticed that the HDD and CD-Rom drives are running at ATA 33 and not 133... The Phoenix Bios doesn't give me an option to change that... I got it to install, but not the partitioning of my liking due to the lack of time... Again thanks for your help, but more is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom