CRT or LCD for gaming rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F6Hawk

Baseband Member
Which is it to be? Are the LCDs good enough now to play at the fast pace of games?

And obviously lower is better, but what rate? 12ms? 8? 4?

I have never seen LCDs in use for gaming, but we have some at work, and they are great for office-type apps. Just want to make a wise choice for the new rig I am going to build.

TIA!

LCDs are fine for gaming so long as the response time is low. 4ms is the best but they are the most expensive, 8ms is a little slower but still fast and ghosting/streaking is really only seen on low end LCDs. 16ms is pretty much the limit for gaming LCDs because any slower and ghosting will be quite easy to see.

i say get an 8ms LCD because they're cheaper than 4ms screens and there is no easily noticable difference between them.

CRT screens have the highest response times, some almost instantaneous and they are cheaper than LCDs but they take up much more space and, in my case, will bearly be able to fit your desk.

CRT's are better for gaming. But modern LCD's are fine for gaming as wel, as long as you can afford a high-end model with fast response times, contrast ratio and brightness.

TheMajor said:
CRT's are better for gaming. But modern LCD's are fine for gaming as wel, as long as you can afford a high-end model with fast response times, contrast ratio and brightness.
Ok, so what is acceptable for ratio? I commonly see 500:1.

Response times, I have decided to go with 8 ms or lower.

And what brightness level is good?

Thanks for all the replies!

Mine is 700:1 contrast ratio and 300 on the brightness. I love it so far. The only complaint I have is the image quality isn't as good at lower resolutions as it was on my CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom