SATA hard drive performance problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

appletango22

Beta member
Hi all. Just registered to this rather good forum.

Heres my problem. I bought a 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA150, 7,200RPM / 8MB Buffer

But its slow as hell. I have all my mobo drivers installed, and Service Pack 2. When clicking on the start button, it takes literally about 5 seconds to pop up, and when it does its real slow to load the menus.

My old IDE 20 gig Seagate 5400RPM hard drive is much quicker, but should this be the case?

I have the SATA as priority hard drive in BIOS. Are there other BIOS settings that i'm missing?

Thanks for any help thats given.

appletango22 said:

Heres my problem. I bought a ... Maxtor ...

go get yourself a hitachi, or seagate.

also - you need to tell us the rest of the specs on your computer.

maybe your computer is just slow.

i dont think the speed of your harddrive would cause stuff like what your are describing.

I have 2 maxtor diamond max 9s and they run extremely fast. Make sure you format itwith the MaxBlast 4 program from maxtors website before you install anything on it. Outside of that it should work just fine.

AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3000+

1280 MB (DDR SDRAM)

RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary (128 MB)

ABIT NF8 motherboard

80GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA150, 7,200RPM / 8MB Buffer

I used win xp to format the new SATA hard drive. So maybe using MaxBlast 4 to format it would make it perform better?

P4, 3.00 ghz, HT

1 gig of ddr400 ram kingmax

radeon 9800XT

primary harddrive is a maxtor 40 gig, (it came from a PS2) its a very crappy disk, that is why i am trying to replase it with the SATA seagate, 160 gigs. i also have a 120 gig seageate harddrive

Ok, well i formatted the SATA drive using Max Blast, installed XP, and its running like a dream now :D

Thanks to the people who gave advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom